Discuss Sockets on a lighting circuit - C3 or C2? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Fun EICR at an HMO today, which was installed new 5 years ago (not particularly well!)

Lots of niggly things that I'll sort, but in the kitchen cupboards were two unswitched sockets which confused me for a while.

Turns out they are connected to the lighting circuit, switched by their own switch by the door - apparently originally for pelmet lighting that was never installed.

Sockets on a lighting circuit - C3 or C2? 2022-08-24 18.30.58 - EletriciansForums.net

I'll likely blank them off anyway, but was thinking about how I'd code it and swinging between a C2 and a C3.

Everything is RCD protected, so that's not an issue. 6A breaker should trip fast enough to avoid any long term overload of the cable (1.5mm)

In purely terms of actual or potential danger, where would others put it? It's clearly bad workmanship and something that should never have been installed 5 years ago, and there's an argument for putting C2 just to ensure it gets changed, but that's rather against the spirit of the codes - Is there enough potential danger to reach a C2..

Here it probably has no danger.

But if it could be mistaken for a normal power outlet and so trip out all lights at night due to someone plugging in a heater then I would argue it had a danger to it.

This is one of those problems that isn't helped by the lighting manufacturers who supply power supplies and LED drivers that come as a 13A plugin units for their low voltage lighting, it is one of those evils of poor design that doesn't have many if any options to avoid

But if it could be mistaken for a normal power outlet and so trip out all lights at night due to someone plugging in a heater then I would argue it had a danger to it.
It could be argued that connecting outside lighting to an indoor lighting circuit could trip out all the lighting if water gets into an outside light should that be considered a danger

I had a 13A socket in my loft for years for powering an aerial amplifier and saw no issue with that at all. However I did put a dymo label on it to indicate that it was fed from the lighting circuit.

As UNG says, it's not always possible to put a 5A socket on for lighting these days because of the plug-in transformers.

This is one of those problems that isn't helped by the lighting manufacturers who supply power supplies and LED drivers that come as a 13A plugin units for their low voltage lighting, it is one of those evils of poor design that doesn't have many if any options to avoid
Very true.
It could be argued that connecting outside lighting to an indoor lighting circuit could trip out all the lighting if water gets into an outside light should that be considered a danger
Ideally they would be separate circuits.

But there is also a big difference between that where it is a possible fault-condition that trips the lights, and a 13A socket inviting usage of items well above the 6A limit such as heaters, vacuum cleaners, etc.

OK here it is not in such a location that would be likely, but that was my earlier point about the accessibility of such a socket impacting its risk. Had it been a 5A socket then no issue as clearly not normal use-case and if used in-design then 5A is available.

As above tv amp in loft often plugged into a single 13am ssocket feed nicked from a light , have even done this for low watt shower pumps in the loft space

Sometimes I have put a 13am socket ontop of kicthen cupboards for the under unit lights to plug starighnt into feed / swicthed off the light switch set up

as mentioned seen quite a few boilers on a 13am plug off a 6am mcb

in America they have quite a few mixed 16 and 10am mixed circuits with sockets ( receptacles ) and lights all on the same ting

As above tv amp in loft often plugged into a single 13am ssocket feed nicked from a light , have even done this for low watt shower pumps in the loft space

Sometimes I have put a 13am socket ontop of kicthen cupboards for the under unit lights to plug starighnt into feed / swicthed off the light switch set up
To me those are fine as special use out of the normal locations you would expect to see a socket, and in most cases will have the load permanently plugged in.
as mentioned seen quite a few boilers on a 13am plug off a 6am mcb
Odd, I would have used a FCU, but if clearly marked for the boiler in its cupboard space then no issue.
in America they have quite a few mixed 16 and 10am mixed circuits with sockets ( receptacles ) and lights all on the same ting
Yes, they have some odd practices over there.

Any idea why the 6A MCB, were they wired in 1mm (a technical no-no until AM2 for power circuit)?

I would have just gone 16A 1.5mm radial and then a 3A of 5A fuse on the FCU or 13A plug for the actual load.
seen them wires in all sorts , 1mm , 1.5 and 2.5

probably what ever the contractor had to hand

seen them wires in all sorts , 1mm , 1.5 and 2.5

probably what ever the contractor had to hand
To be fair, I would probably have used 2.5mm just because I generally only have 1mm lights or 2.5mm for RFC/small radial lying around...

With appropriate OCPD to match?
16am cicruit with 1.5 cable for wall panel heaters , boilers , water heaters , towel rails etc
anything where you can get away with using 1.5 to save money

I really don't see an issue here. Just because something is unconventional doesn't make it unsafe. The circuit is protected by suitable OCPD, the components are rated => the maximum design current.... there's simply nothing to code. Arguments of "what if....." could be applied to an infinite number of scenarios which is why we don't inspect on what doesn't exist.

Reply to Sockets on a lighting circuit - C3 or C2? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock