Discuss Sockets on different phases in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

That sounds like a good idea to me.
I've noticed in the past, before harmonisation, the individual phase colours were used, eg red, black, G&Y - blue, black, G&Y - yellow, black, G&Y, which seemed like a good idea especially in this situation. For some reason nobody seems to do it any more.
Of course caution should be exercised in an installation with both sets of colours - using blue, black and G&Y it could be easy to confuse the polarity.

Thanks for your reply, yes I think your right, the only issue I see is the average joe blogs seeing 400v next to a socket and worrying about using it.

Agree label "400V between with arrows", you can buy them from wholesalers, of course its better to try and design the wiring so this is avoided.

Unfortunately it's an old install but yes I agree

I'd say that any chance the phases could ever come together to present a 400v hazard would involve grievous misuse of the installation and you can never prevent this type of event. I wouldn't label the sockets, but hey, I'm not in the UK so I don't know if your regs require it in black and white.

The regs used to require sockets on different phases in the same room (not domestic) to have more than 2m between them. Equiment on different phases within reach of each other had to be labled but this was removed I think in the 17th.

Hey Barney woops I mean Marvo (used to have a boxer called barney when I was a kid, wonderfull wonderfull dogs).......nope I think your going mad>>...oh ok I got bored of the sexy nun:)

I think you need to log off, go grab some of your old vinyls, give them a spin and crack open another beer

Oh dear I could take that the wrong way......Hey I can almost do two things at once, Im still listening to good morning Britian (and doing that well) and typing at the same time (although badly).....try aztec camera good morning britian live slow version on you tube...wonderfull lyrics

I'd say that any chance the phases could ever come together to present a 400v hazard would involve grievous misuse of the installation and you can never prevent this type of event. I wouldn't label the sockets, but hey, I'm not in the UK so I don't know if your regs require it in black and white.

For some reason or another the UK has grown a sort of love affair with labels on electrical installations. To the point of virtually covering the whole CU with the bloody things.

BTW agree with you, never seen the need to plonk warning notices on socket outlets spread over 3 phases. Always did use the old red, yellow, blue phase colours for easy identification though, now just an appropriate bit of heat shrink coloured tube.

Reply to Sockets on different phases in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net