Discuss Sockets tripping after board upgrade - should have been rewired in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
After updating a consumer unit, from an old rewireable fuse board, one of the socket circuits is tripping when under load. The property should have been rewired as the installation is so dated but the project manager and client didn't want to rewire it. The supply to the flat is approximately 10mm live and neutral tails and earth supplied through the conduit, an approximate length of 20m. Each circuit is wired in singles using steel conduit as the earth.

When the circuit is taken off of the RCD it no longer trips. I cannot find the fault and unsure what can be done to resolve this issue. I've never had to do it but I believe a circuit can be omitted from the RCD if a Risk assessment is produced but unsure if there is a possibility of this.

That would be a bad idea connecting a socket with a known fault ,either remove the power to that socket , blank it off or insulation resistance should help find the fault .

risk assessment method is not allowed on domestic and how would you word it
faulty socket , risk of fire or electric shock , how do you justify that?

is it a dual RCD board or RCBO?

What investigation has been done to find the fault, testing, visual tracing or??
What testing was done prior to the new C.U being fitted?
Have all the sockets on the circuit been identified?
Is it a radial or r.f.c?
yep. more info needed. e.g. have IR testes been carried out prior to energising?

I cannot find the fault and unsure what can be done to resolve this issue.
If your making a statement like this I have to ask are you qualified and what qualifications do you have.

From your OP do we assume you swapped the consumer unit, did no dead testing during the swap out and then energised the installation and did no live tests!!. Who is issuing the cert and what test results are they putting on it

Could you clarify what you mean by
one of the socket circuits is tripping when under load.
Does it trip when you have plugged appliances in or before anything is plugged in
Could it be you have a faulty appliance

one of the socket circuits is tripping when under load

That's a pretty good clue as to the nature of the fault. IR readings please...

After updating a consumer unit, from an old rewireable fuse board, one of the socket circuits is tripping when under load. The property should have been rewired as the installation is so dated but the project manager and client didn't want to rewire it. The supply to the flat is approximately 10mm live and neutral tails and earth supplied through the conduit, an approximate length of 20m. Each circuit is wired in singles using steel conduit as the earth.

When the circuit is taken off of the RCD it no longer trips. I cannot find the fault and unsure what can be done to resolve this issue. I've never had to do it but I believe a circuit can be omitted from the RCD if a Risk assessment is produced but unsure if there is a possibility of this.
Socket NS in the wrong side of the N bar?? maybe??

This is scary. You really think it would be OK to remove the RCD because a fault is making it trip? I would love to see your risk assessment for that (that's even assuming it was allowed in domestic).

The property should have been rewired as the installation is so dated but the project manager and client didn't want to rewire it. The supply to the flat is approximately 10mm live and neutral tails and earth supplied through the conduit, an approximate length of 20m. Each circuit is wired in singles using steel conduit as the earth.
so you decide to change the board before a EICR done ,so you will cop for the job being done then.

I should imagine he is hiding under his quilt after reading that avalanche. Don't blame him either. Scary.

In my experience rcd isn’t that tricky to identify the issue once you have unplugged everything and drop all the accessories off. Normally something will become obvious.

I personally would not omit rcd protection because I can’t find the offending item

Reply to Sockets tripping after board upgrade - should have been rewired in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock