Discuss Sockets under Sink ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

Lioned

Most new kitchens you seem to have no option but to install sockets (for wash machine/dish washer etc) under the sink in the base unit.
I do not believe there is any reg's restricting this but some kitchen fitters i come across still seem to think it is taboo (though they do it anyway).

Am i right,that as long as circuit is protected by rcd/rcbo there is not a problem ?

Thanks

I would always fit a fused spur above the counter feeding down to a single socket beneath.
i wouldn't. 2 13A fuses-no discrimination. i fit 20A D/P isolator. undedr sink may not be against a specific reg. but bad practice all the same.

Not something i'd do if it could be avoided but there's no space anywhere else.

Also quite common offcourse to have waste disposal under sink so you'd have to have connection unit for that somewhere ?

I used a totally unconventional method to avoid discrimination problems, and to get away from having to disconnect cables every time i needed to pull out a built-in appliance. All my appliances are controlled by FCUs above the worktop by the way....

I used MK single Yank outlets and plug tops, ...lol!! I'm sure they'll be those here, that would disagree with my unconventional method of localised disconnection, but it's electrically safe, and solves a problem. I did look for none standard British outlets and plug tops without fuses, even considered the old BS 15A set-up, but couldn't find any in Cyprus. Anyway i had these Yank outlets handy, that were ear marked for a completly different use, that never transpired...

I'm sure there are British none standard pin arrangement outlets with non fused plug tops, that gets over the inconveniences of supplying kitchen cabinet built in appliances, just couldn't find any available in Cyprus....

In 30 yrs I've yet to see a problem directly related to a socket being located under a sink............as long as it is sited with care....ie not directly under the waste!!....I cant see any problem

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally i would rather see a socket under a sink and be able to remove the plug even better if FCU above, seen so many installs with neither just tapped connections Etc and totally inaccessible

In 30 yrs I've yet to see a problem directly related to a socket being located under a sink............as long as it is sited with care....ie not directly under the waste!!....I cant see any problem
I agree completely, it's up there with the 'RCD main switch and the old lady tumbling down the stairs in the dark' scenario...

I understand the 'discrimination' issue,though think it a bit dubious between a plug top and local fcu which are located so close together.I would be suprised if it were to be considered an issue on inspection.

Sockets under the sink or in an adjacent cupboard every time.

Why not behind the appliance it's supplying, that's where all mine are in my house??
What i have no time for is cooker points buried in cabinets behind myriads of pots and pans, or tins of this and that!! Or sockets that that should be above the worktop, but aren't because a householder doesn't want to see FCU's or sockets in there over expensive tile work. ....Most if not all, live to regret that daft idea. A kitchen is a functional work space, not a fashion accessory/statement for others to admire....

Tbh the appliances are more likely in a new install to take the rcd out than the fuse in the plug / fcu as most faults are going to b L-e N-e

I understand the 'discrimination' issue,though think it a bit dubious between a plug top and local fcu which are located so close together.I would be suprised if it were to be considered an issue on inspection.

So you'll be quite happy pulling out say, a heavy washing machine, or an oven, just to replace a plug top fuse?? .....Rather you than me!! lol!!!

Why not behind the appliance it's supplying, that's where all mine are in my house??
What i have no time for is cooker points buried in cabinets behind myriads of pots and pans, or tins of this and that!! Or sockets that that should be above the worktop, but aren't because a householder doesn't want to see FCU's or sockets in there over expensive tile work. ....Most if not all, live to regret that daft idea. A kitchen is a functional work space, not a fashion accessory/statement for others to admire....

Try telling that to lady muck who's persuaded hubby to cough for a new bespoke.......:2guns:

Reply to Sockets under Sink ? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock