Discuss sockets wired in 1.0mm 3 core flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

electrician4u

Doing a re-wire for a customer who's had their kitchen redone recently and told me the electrics are fine.when I checked, they've all been wired using 1.0mm 3 core flex then sealed underneath tiles.I can't remove the tiles or pull through new cables.Is it permissable to leave it connected like this and if I do, what max breaker can I use?Can I simply write on the form about the departure from the regs?

How is the circuit protected? Isit a ring or a radial? Maybe it is safe if they've used a 5A MCB. :)

I did metion they're sockets so I don't think a 5A MCB is a serious suggestion.I also mentioned I cannot rip off the tiles so purchasing a scutch chisel would seem somewhat pointless.Any serious suggestions?

Your questions are somewhat confusing. It doesn't matter that they're sockets, the MCB size is determined by the the CSA of the cable, it's length and the installation method.

My questions are still relevant; is it a radial or ring? How is the circuit protected ie is there an RCD or RCBO?

Best change the MCB for 10A then if your cable calcs allow. If their kitchen has been done by a company I would be recommending that they get them back to do it properly. As they require power then I would run in a circuit that would be suitable in the mean time IF and a big IF they are willing to go for the extra spend.

Did you do a full survey before the rewire and agree and limitations etc with the customer?

I did a limited PIR before but didn't take every socket off the wall.Had no reason to suspect that it had been done in flex.I assume the homeowner either did it himself or a mate of the kitchen fitter did it. either way, it makes it difficult to remedy.

This is certainly an unusual and poor method of installation, however since the ccc of a 1mm flex is 10A (so long as there are no derating factors (which is unlikely) ) then you would be able to have this as a ring on a 20A MCB.
I would tend towards spin's position and use a 16A MCB to allow for the installation methods. This could lead to nuisance tripping, especially in a kitchen, but would meet the requirements of the regulations ( but I would make a note on the certificate). It may be a good idea to, if possible run in another radial for high current appliances like kettles and toasters so that they are off the main ring.
A standard household circuit should be OK on 16A but maybe not a kitchen.

they appear to be wired as a ring which i can connect into and i'm changing the CU so would i get away with a 20 A MCB?
No.
You have cables with a maximum CCC of 10A, that's without any de-rating factors.
You place a 20A load anywhere other than at the mid point of the ring, and you're going to oveload one of the cables.
The maximum you can have is 16A.

Simple answer is that it needs redoing properly. Customer might not like it, but I'd advise them to get hold of whoever did this and either wring their neck or get the money back.

why would a load need to be midway in a ring to avoid overloading??that's the point of a ring, that every point is the same in regards to any load upon it.I find that worrying that someone would think otherwise

I can't walk away from the job.I've already started and ripped most of the (old) cable out.Another example of the customer thinking I'm trying to milk more money out of the job! As far as they're concerned it's a case of it's been working fine since it was put in, so leave it

I can't walk away from the job.I've already started and ripped most of the (old) cable out.Another example of the customer thinking I'm trying to milk more money out of the job! As far as they're concerned it's a case of it's been working fine since it was put in, so leave it
Sorry fella but you ARE trying to milk them as this problem should have been spotted and mentioned to them before you started.
people on here are trying to advise your question and it would seem you know better than them as you don't want to accept the replies.
Perhaps they should rewrite the regs for each job you want to do to suit you.

Reply to sockets wired in 1.0mm 3 core flex in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock