Discuss Sockets wired in black rubber query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
testing a property there, the sockets were wired in black rubber 2 core with bare stranded earth coming into the boxes. Done all the Ring tests and everything was fine, continuity between all conductors and R1+R2 fine also. Just wondering is it safe because you got the 2 core cable without a cpc within the cable?

Do you have any pics?

If it is traditional VIR it will be 60+ years old and while some of it looks fine, other parts with different environmental exposure might have failing insulation. It is possible for the rubber to harden and crumble away leaving exposed conductors, without affecting the IR test result. So it is now considered good practice to recommend replacement even if the test suggests it's fine. The separate CPC is technically a non-compliance if it is too small for a single unenclosed conductor.

Separate earth wire would need to be a minimum of 2.5mm2 if mechanically protected, or 4mm2 min. if not. No problem with the cpc not being part of the supply cable, but this stuff is from the '60s at best. Time it was gone.

What I initially put down was that it was testing fine but that the cable was old and would recommend upgrading. I’m always unsure when I come across a type of cable I’ve never seen before. House was built in 60s so it must be in from then, lighting circuit has no earth also

There was a paragraph in approved document p saying VIR cable is past its operating life and should be replaced, nothing specifically in bs7671 but id struggle to give it less than an FI and would want to inspect every inch, probably bi annually, in practice, with the other issue you mention it sounds like it needs a rewire

Reply to Sockets wired in black rubber query in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock