Discuss Soffit Lighting Recommendations and Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We are going to fit outdoor soffit lighting IP65 with top and bottom set controlled separately.

Are there any light brands that are recommended and where would be the best place to purchase online?
It’s a bit of a mine field with beam angle and wattage/brightness. Not sure which is the best.

Someone recommended LAP after we told him we were considering JCC V50. In his opinion LAP are just as reliable and a fraction of the cost.

We were thinking of 2 Quinetic WiFi dimmer receivers to control and dim all lights. We’re not sure if we can control 2 separate receivers on the one app?
Other option is 2 TP link Kasa Smart Plugs.
What is the general recommendation for control fitted in the loft?

Any recommendations and general advice is welcomed.

I'm no expert on this, but someone near me fitted soffit lights and then realised they didn't like them shining into the bedrooms. It may be worth trying one first before going for the full installation.

I reckon a narrow beam angle would probably be best.

Thanks for your thoughts.
That’s a good point. This is what made us think about the best beam angle and the potential of being able to control the top and bottom independently.

Thanks for your thoughts.
That’s a good point. This is what made us think about the best beam angle and the potential of being able to control the top and bottom independently.

I've got them on the canopy in front of my house. They shine into the kitchen a little, but not excessively. Not sure I'd want the same thing in the soffit above the bedrooms.

I'd buy a narrow angle lamp and get up a ladder and try it.

Perhaps have a look at an online guide to downlights, e.g. this one:

In my experience, LAP is a Screwfix budget brand and does not fall into the reliable category - I tend to use Aurora / Enlite - I think the above guide mentions some other reputable brands. Bear in mind it will be a pain to have to keep getting the ladders out every time one of the cheap ones fail.

Keep in mind that !P65 may mean water resistant, but doesn't necessarily mean corrosion resistant.
Fitted three along the extended soffit of a garden summerhouse three years ago, and they're beginning to look a bit scruffy. No idea what make they were, but they were IP65.

i've fitted loads of LAP GU10s and not had any fail. some have been in 3-4 years. in fact, the 4 i have in our extension soffit, on a PIR, I installed in 2013. all still work.

Oh, don’t , Tel…. Have you heard of the changes to the Bash Street Kids?
Spotty is now named Scotty… to avoid upsetting those with skin conditions and changed Fatty to Freddy

Won’t be long before Plug there gets a name change.

Oh, don’t , Tel…. Have you heard of the changes to the Bash Street Kids?
Spotty is now named Scotty… to avoid upsetting those with skin conditions and changed Fatty to Freddy

Won’t be long before Plug there gets a name change.
I didn't even know the beano was still going. Its only a matter of time before we can't open out mouths. Never thought I'd see the day when someone argues that a baby should be born with no gender and allowed to choose what it wants to be

I didn't even know the beano was still going. Its only a matter of time before we can't open out mouths. Never thought I'd see the day when someone argues that a baby should be born with no gender and allowed to choose what it wants to be
the world has gone insane.

Reply to Soffit Lighting Recommendations and Question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock