Discuss Softball 101: best way to re-attach the EU plug with these wires? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Newbie here with a fear of fire and other DIY mahem.

OK--so I have this heating element for my ski boot bag (essential equipment in Switzerland) and it has two plugs--one for the car and the other for 240V household use.
As I was stumbling into the elevator at 5AM on my way to the slopes I left the plug outside and it was caught in the elevator door when it closed. I did not notice and headed for the garage and as the elevator descended the bag was lifted up to the ceiling and the plug was ripped off before I could stop the elevator (cue bad jokes about my intelligence). Finding a replacement element is proving very challenging.

I have a few softballs--pretend I have the electrical DIY experience of a small child--all advice welcome.

What is the best way to attach this wire to this European Union plug?
Can I use electrical tape? Other tape? Or do I need to solder it first? Solder then tape? Should I be worried about a short or starting a fire?

Thank you in advance for your help.

TL;DR
Attaching a plug to exposed wires in 240V setting

Attachments

• Electrical.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_9783.jpg
    612.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9784.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_9785.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 30
It isn't polarity biased. Push the cord further under the clamp so it isn't on the conductors.

It isn't polarity biased. Push the cord further under the clamp so it isn't on the conductors.
OK. thanks. when you say cord are you talking about the wires or the white cord? I can advance the white cord but will need to cut and re-attach the wires. Is it OK to see a bit of copper when I attach the wires? Thanks again.

The white bit should be through the clamp. The connections could do with being tidier, strip back and fold over so it fills the terminal and the copper strands are not splayed/exposed.

Thank you again for the advice--re-did it, twisted wires and folded over so now it looks like this--am getting my nerve up to plug it in...will do it carefully and watch the heating element and plug to be sure they are working...good news that polarity is not an issue--that makes sense given that the plugs are the same and also the type of current 240V (although I need to read more to understand the polarity issue in Europe vs US).

Attachments

• IMG_9833.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 13
Yes that is a better job.

It's fine, it has the ESTI S+ mark. Note that it is not exactly the same as the one that got ripped off which was a Europlug, i.e. pan-EU 2.5A plug, but the one you have put on is a Swiss 2-pin 10A (i.e. the 2-pin version of the specific Swiss 3-pin plug) which is why it has a larger body profile. The funny thing is that a plug made in China specifically for Switzerland is labelled in English!

EU appliances that are sold with non-polarised 2-pin plugs are designed to be safe with either polarity. The wires are still blue and brown but that's mainly to avoid having to make another kind of cable with two wires the same colour.

It's fine, it has the ESTI S+ mark. Note that it is not exactly the same as the one that got ripped off which was a Europlug, i.e. pan-EU 2.5A plug, but the one you have put on is a Swiss 2-pin 10A (i.e. the 2-pin version of the specific Swiss 3-pin plug) which is why it has a larger body profile. The funny thing is that a plug made in China specifically for Switzerland is labelled in English!

EU appliances that are sold with non-polarised 2-pin plugs are designed to be safe with either polarity. The wires are still blue and brown but that's mainly to avoid having to make another kind of cable with two wires the same colour.
Thank you. This forum is amazing. China makes everything and labels everything in English--too funny. Yes--it is not the same--I could not source a Europlug in Switzerland--probably available but not through usual hardware stores that we now cannot visit--and their online search capabilities are sometimes problematic but that is another story. I modified the plug by removing the ground pin since it was not going to be grounded. I think that I am set and will let you know how it goes--I am sure that I will once again be able to heat my ski boots and will be extra careful to avoid elevators with my boot bag!..:)

The reason you can't buy a replacement Europlug is that they don't exist. The true Pan-European 2-pin type is always moulded on. There are various rewireable plugs available both 2 and 3 pin, but they are based on the local standards. The Italian version doesn't fit German sockets, for example, although Europlug fits both.

Reply to Softball 101: best way to re-attach the EU plug with these wires? in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net