Discuss solar edge and SAP in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sambotc

How are you guys selling solar edge with regards to the SAP calculations required? (shading etc )

I've got the system designer tool but this isn't going to satisfy the MCS requirement for a SAP calc and also given that they will mainly be used for jobs with shading, it's quite awkward to make an estimate? I don't want to mis sell, but also don't want to be underselling the product either?

I don't have PVsol and don't intend getting it either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not found much consumer demand for solar edge or micro-inverters to be honest. When I have the premium cost kills it.

I dont sell them but as with all systems the saps are flawed but look at the weather, not summer is it, more cloudy at the moment.
If I did sell them I would give the SAP as normal and inform the customer of 20% loss factors but every case of shading is different, only you have seen the house, is there shading ?

When we had snow, I found that the panel's own bypass diodes worked very well - the loss of power being roughly proportional to the area of panels still covered by snow.
It seems as if the major problems with shading are a moving "hard shadow" which passes across multiple panels, and which manages to partially or completely cover two or three panels at the same time, thus causing a sudden change in optimum voltage which the inverter MPPT software doesn't cope well with.

When you do the SAP calculations, you need to treat each area as a different system.

For example, if you have 10 panels on a south facing roof then you calculate that as a system. If you have 5 panels on the east roof then you calculate that as a seperate system - then you just add them both together.

Don't worry I think I am over complicating my thought process, trying to see how the figures of SAP could be compared with or without solar edge on a system that had some shading issues. As far as I can make out it would never work.

I'm just looking at it from a customers point of view, when you suggest spending ££££ more for solar edge, how an installer could go about proving to a certain degree that the extra expense is worth it?

If you have a problem with shading then solar edge can minimize the effect. I installed one on a house with SE and SW roofs so needed a 2 tracker or solar edge anyway. Shading was an issue in the morning so solar edge was a no brainer. I can now view the effect of shade on the web site starting at one side of the array and moving over during the morning. A normal system would generate atleast 20% less as that string wouldn't work effectively until about 11.00. On a normal system shading just one panel can reduce the output by 75%. I experienced this where a tree had grown and was shading 1 panel on a 2.3kWp system and the output reduced to 550W. Branch cut and output increased to 1750W. You should be able to justify solar edge on the correct system.

Yeah i'm not questioning solaredge, it has it's uses which is why i want to be able to convince customers that in the right circumstances it is a worthy investment. The problem I have is that other than me saying 'spend ££££ on solaredge it's very good etc' I can not really prove it paying so to speak?

I suppose I will cross that bridge when I get there as i was speculating really but would be nice to have something solid ( so far as any yield estimation goes!) to show a potential customer.

I've directed many of my customers to the web site and most are convinced. I haven't lost one job where I quoted solar edge; just needs time to explain to the customer. Added warranty also good for sales

Reply to solar edge and SAP in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net