Discuss Solar Edge and SMA Inverter?? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

V

VMan

Hi guys,
I've only recently stumbled upon these Solaredge power optimisers, Seem good and thinking of adding them on half of my array as they have shading in the winter months, so..

i have a 10 panel array, 5 with shading in winter months,

Can i add 5 power optimizers for 5 panels and add them to the array string, or have all 10 modules with optimisers and put them into a sunnyboy? or must they be used with a solar edge inverter?!?!

I' not too sure how they work, i'm thinking they are a DC/DC micro inverter with own Mppt? then set a constant voltage output? #

Anymore info would be great on these.

Thanks

Hi V'man,

I was sub-cont' installing SolarEdge systems in the run to 12th Dec. The inverter has to be "paired" to the power units~ at first start up each unit sends 1 volt (ie 10 modules = 10V) and then inverter pairs it self to each one. How I don't know (SolarEdge technical manual gives nothing away), possibly sending digital signal~ then when running the inverter reads each one and aligns the DC line voltage to suit best production. Without the SE inverter, each optimiser would be at different voltage (that is if it would even initiate) so guess could be worse output on SMA~ poss' even cause burnout of optimisers.

One question for anyone with more info~ you cannot test for a string Voc/Isc so what do you do for string tests? has anyone run this past their accreditors?

thats what we do!

Solar edge are better system than SMA but cost a little more.

We have installed over 40 solar edge system in 2011 and all customers are happy with results

With solar edge the optimisers are trackers, so you have a tracker per panel and none in the inverter (as I understand it) which is why you have to have the solar edge inverter to go with the solar edge optimisers. Price differential doen't come out too much - you pay more for the oprimieers, but the inverter's quite a bit cheaper

pj

Still works out around 400 or more than sma you can use other inverters but you need a piece of kit but forgot the name of the device now

Don't mind me while I bump some threads in the solar PV forum. If they're not current or applicable topics, just ignore the threads; they'll drop off the page. If they are, feel free to chip in and chat solar stuff in the solar panels forum.

Reply to Solar Edge and SMA Inverter?? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock