Discuss Solar Edge (or other micro inverter) advantage when shading is minimal? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jerriais

Just wondering about your thoughts on whether I lost a job to a technically deficient but more expensive design.

Basically a customer has a fairly large tree due west of his roof
View attachment 18470
but has been convinced that the shading is severe so he should go for a more expensive quote using micro inverters. I've modelled this in PV*Sol Expert and a standard Power One 3.6 out performs both Enecsys and Enphase.

Unfortunately Solar Edge are not on PV*Sol so has anyone done any modelling in PVSYST to see if Solar Edge really do outperform when shading is softer and from a more distant object? The PV*Sol figures only showed 3.6% shading on most shaded panel.

I know it shouldn't but it does get to me when a salesperson convinces a customer to go with a more expensive design that I'm 99% convinced will produce less energy! Happened twice in the last two weeks :(

I've been in solar for 8 years so if I'd have thought a micro-inverter was the right solution that's what I would have proposed! I do recommend them with hard shading from close objects but in this case I'm sure it's the wrong choice of inverter.

Solar Edge will be in new upgrade of PVSol (at a price). To model micro-inverters properly you need to alter things like wiring lengths etc. Enphase put out an advice sheet on this to allow better modelling.

Attachments

• Enphase Software and PV Sol.pdf
    470.2 KB · Views: 18

Reply to Solar Edge (or other micro inverter) advantage when shading is minimal? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net