Discuss Solar Immersion - my experience ! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

danesol

Order placed tonight - delivery hopefully this week !

I'm going to document the installation and present ongoing results for interested parties as todate no-one seems to have done this

WATCH this space...................

Had mine installed by Solar and Electrics Worscester last Friday when my PV system was installed.

I ordered the mk3 2 weeks before the installation and was told it would be with me, the day before it hadnt arrived so I called and spoke to a helpful chap who arrnaged to sent it next day before 10am. I do believe they have some issues in getting the units out the door !

Looked quite straightfoward to install, although Tarum had installed the unit before.

It works very well, so well my water is too hot, limited control on the immersion element. I added a Mangers tank jacket to my foam lagged tank and its still very hot in the morning before any production.

I do have a issue that the lcd display goes blank and can scroll odd letters, reported this and waiting for a replacement unit to be sent out. I hope I was just unfortunate, but Dan from SolarImmersion has been helpful so far.

Would I recommend the Solar Immersion mk3, yes I would, no flicker issues like the Immersun. My only critism is I would like to see how much is being sent to the immersion, ie today 4.5kw.

OK, unit arrived, fitted and working away !!

Points so far;

1. Unit is made of a simple Rittal like box with openings top & bottom of unit for cable entries. These have to be removed where required and we used proper electrical glands for fitment.

2. Unit comprises internally of a display unit, a PCB, a large main connector block ( black with connection markings above on the PCB ) and naturally an earth connection bar and connection for earth bonding.

3. Unit is constructed well, but NOT as good looking as say the Solic unit, however I'm after functionality not looks as its hidden out of sight anyway. Its definately a well thought out system with a NO frills attitude, so if you are seeking an excellent "looking presence" with "detailed reporting" you will be disappointed - lol

4. IMO - the main connection block is too thin & flimsy - they could of done using using a stronger more robust connector as while tightening it tended to twist just slightly, large wires were hard to get into the holes, but this is been picky and not really criticising as such.

5. Once switched on and setup with the various options in the menu - it started to work straight away but I have now noticed the display is now dim and you cant see it as brightly as before - haven't worked out how you constantly brighten the screen yet, but will investigate this later !

6. Various instructions in pdf format ( website ) are excellent

7. I'm not going to personally recommend this unit just yet , till I've seen a few weeks results but its looking very promising so far !!

Anyway - thats all now done and I will report back with result findings over the next week or so !!

here's a couple of picture of the actual contents;

Solar Immersion - my experience ! CIMG8484 - EletriciansForums.net

Solar Immersion - my experience ! CIMG8485 - EletriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
Typical - order with the above discount code already given BUT get a further discount on postage for the next few days apparently !!!!

""2 Day Special Spring Offer - Use the coupon code SPRING13 at checkout to get 50% off on postage""

Im still trying to get my faulty unit swapped, such a shame a great product is marred by poor customer service.

When you say "blank screen" - are you saying the same as I:- Screen goes from bright green characters to very low level LCD just like the old watches, or do you really mean you cant see anything at all - I can just make the information out on the screen when this happens ?

I get a blank screen but doesnt dim if I use any of the buttons, sometimes they work, from time to time I get scrolling odd text. When it goes blank I have to power cycle. The unit still works fine and heats up my water a treat.

I paid via paypal so have just opened up a dispute to heopfully get a reply from SolarImmersion !

snipped

5. Once switched on and setup with the various options in the menu - it started to work straight away but I have now noticed the display is now dim and you cant see it as brightly as before - haven't worked out how you constantly brighten the screen yet, but will investigate this later !

Arrrrr - found it !

LCD BACKLIGHT TURNs OFF AFTER 5 MIN TO SAVE ENERGY. TO TURN ON THE BACKLIGHT AGAIN, HOLD ESC BUTTON FOR 1 SEC.

I am looking for a solar immersion device but after my fathers bad experience with with the mk2 solar immersion switch and extremely poor customer service (very hard to contact, they did not return calls, generally unhelpful on phone) it has put me clean off this company.He eventually got a replacement box about 2 months later, not for me Im affraid.

Here are your choices in no particluar order:
Immersun PV Water Heating, Solar Hot Water Switch and Controller Supplier in Lincolnshire, UK | 4eco Ltd
Wooldrige Solar PV heating switch controller
Solar Immersion SolarImmersion - Surplus Solar Energy Water Heater | (also at Intelligent Solar PV Immersion Heater Switch - Use Surplus PV Power to Heat Water for Marks I and II)
Intelligent Immersion Intelligent Immersion.
Solic 200 Earthwise - SOLiC 200

Not sure if I've left out any other proportional controllers, thes rae the ones I can remember ...

I think I am going to hold out for the Immersun mk2, I believe it will be on sale June/July, price dependant I would say this will be the one for me.

I think I am going to hold out for the Immersun mk2, I believe it will be on sale June/July, price dependant I would say this will be the one for me.

Unfortunately, I have no 'hands-on' experience of any of the other current market leaders in this field BUT all I will say if they do the job half as good as the SolarImmersion unit - you will be impressed as I've totally turned off my Gas Boiler coming on now as I just dont need it - the water is that hot all day ( ie. normal PV hrs should I say ) - we dont export alot back to the grid anyway ( approx 30-40% ) but this unit is still harvesting that to heat our water - so I am so far, although its early days - VERY IMPRESSED and at such a no frills bargain price, compared to the rest kindly listed by WORCESTER !

Watch this space............. for results ( data, graphs etc ) in the coming weeks !

Last edited by a moderator:
I fitted my Immersun early April, and for the month have had totally free hot water, i suspect you have 8 months a year whereby you wont need another source of heating the water, the winter months you just have to have a backup in mind. It is surprising though how little is required to heat a full tank, especially if its just topping up.

You're not generating enough then :) :wink:

This is true enough- only been able to get the last 12 Sanyos in the country back in Nov/Dec 2011, however i must say you can only work with what you have Worcester and the wife is alao trained well in the art of using all white goods as much as possible in peak times so it works extremely well for us ! :)

These look interesting devices - but I'm a bit confused as to how they detect that there's a surplus I thought that a clamp on current detector can't detect direction, so how does the unit "know" that export not import is occurring?

Reply to Solar Immersion - my experience ! in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock