Discuss Solar Install Guidence in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

John-

-
Reaction score
Hi.

I have a UK customer that has an agricultural building that will have a Diesel TPN generator supplying a corn dryer electrical installation.
He also wants a solar array (2kw) off grid battery backed system to supply local lights, small power, trickle charge the generator batteries (from standard 23vAC battery charger) as well as supply an intruder alarm and possible cameras.

The Invertor and array will sit on and in a metal container, outside the main building.

There will be no AC electrical connection between the Diesel and the PV, and there will be an interlock that will isolate the PV supplied battery charger from eth Diesel batteries when eth Diesel is running and charging its own batteries.

IEE, is very light on PV earthing and electrical arrangements. I have done some digging and i can see that there is an SPD risk assessment requirement, but seemingly as long as Lcrit is less than 115m I don't need anything which i think is odd.

Am looking for some install guidence if any available please?

I assume earthing is a buried electrode, with marshalling between the generator and metal services, building fabric etc. Sizing based on prospective fault current form eth invertor? But looking at the invertor i don't see any specific connection other than the earth out of the supply.

I also assume the characteristics of the over current devices change as well, PSC i assume will be much lower than that of say a mains fed system possibly impacting disconnection times. Also what standard do invertors have to comply to so that they supply a stable voltage / current to avoid extended tripping times if system is overloaded?

As you can see some gaps in my understanding around testing, earthing and overload protection.

Thanks in advance

John

Hi.

I have a UK customer that has an agricultural building that will have a Diesel TPN generator supplying a corn dryer electrical installation.
He also wants a solar array (2kw) off grid battery backed system to supply local lights, small power, trickle charge the generator batteries (from standard 23vAC battery charger) as well as supply an intruder alarm and possible cameras.

The Invertor and array will sit on and in a metal container, outside the main building.

There will be no AC electrical connection between the Diesel and the PV, and there will be an interlock that will isolate the PV supplied battery charger from eth Diesel batteries when eth Diesel is running and charging its own batteries.

IEE, is very light on PV earthing and electrical arrangements. I have done some digging and i can see that there is an SPD risk assessment requirement, but seemingly as long as Lcrit is less than 115m I don't need anything which i think is odd.

Am looking for some install guidence if any available please?

I assume earthing is a buried electrode, with marshalling between the generator and metal services, building fabric etc. Sizing based on prospective fault current form eth invertor? But looking at the invertor i don't see any specific connection other than the earth out of the supply.

I also assume the characteristics of the over current devices change as well, PSC i assume will be much lower than that of say a mains fed system possibly impacting disconnection times. Also what standard do invertors have to comply to so that they supply a stable voltage / current to avoid extended tripping times if system is overloaded?

As you can see some gaps in my understanding around testing, earthing and overload protection.

Thanks in advance

John
Did some more digging, and latest IEE regs 2022 have a lot more details now for Solar Island or Grid and any where in between. I did an update session last week and invested in a new regs book OSG and I&T, just transferring all my notes from 18th old to 18th new... :) I have taken a cursory look, but i think all of the above is covered. Will let you know - may be helpful for others.

Reply to Solar Install Guidence in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net