Discuss Solar inverter problem? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Poppymac

DIY
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone out there has come across this problem.
Just had -8 days ago- a 6k solar panel system plus 4.8k battery pack installed.
When the electrician left the batteries showed 20%full.
Next few days inverter showed producing 30kwh but batteries did not charge.
We normally use 8.5kwh per day, this was from readings taken off the grid meter over 30 days before installation. I also noticed that overnight, on the meter they installed next to the grid meter, it showed we were exported 0.2kwh to the grid when the solar was not produced.
Contacted the installer but they did not get back to us.
Eventually on the 5th day we had a video call and we noticed that the inverter showed our usage grew and waned in time with the production of solar, more produced more we used.
AHH I know what it is said the installation manager, turn the clamp on the red wire the other way round, it's because you've got an old style fuse box.
I did that and the battery started to fill =success I thought.
However, the battery fills but cannot be used.
If I turn the clamp back to its original position the battery discharges, but the same thing happens. My usage goes sky high and the battery discharges quickly.
I turned the clamp back after it dropped 30%, and that night the grid used 4kwh, the battery wàs full and it sent 3kwh back to the grid.

So now we have a full battery not using it, when the solaris not producing the inverter shows no usage.

We use IKwh from the grid overnight and send 0.2back to the grid overnight

Basically: inverter shows more solar more we use, even when we are only running the fridge and freezer
No solar no power used

Can charge the batteries but they can't he used
Using power from the grid not the batteries and sending to the grid overnight

Only asking here as the company are not getting back to me at all now

Thanks

I have photos but not sure I can upload them

put photo/s on desktop. go back into forum, click on attach files, then double click each image.

like this:

Attachments

• 003 (2).jpg
    330 KB · Views: 15
First move, get the company back on site…. Second, trading standards…..third, don’t pay them a penny! You can go to your bank and try and cancel payments.
Any fault should be covered by the company’s warranty

region of Scotland? There might be a local member that knows pv that could assist.

Last edited by a moderator:
First move, get the company back on site…. Second, trading standards…..third, don’t pay them a penny! You can go to your bank and try and cancel payments.
Any fault should be covered by the company’s warranty

region of Scotland? There might be a local member that knows pv that could assist.
Thank you. We paid a deposit then a part payment after installation. We held back an amount. We are near Perth in Scotland. Thank you

Thank you. We paid a deposit then a part payment after installation. We held back an amount. We are near Perth in Scotland. Thank you
Trying to show you what happens when I put on the oven. The display shows that the export to the grid goes up. Problem seems to be that the power usage always corresponds to the solar produced therefore the batteries never kick in
IMG_20210619_091309.jpgIMG_20210619_104212.jpg

Trying to show you what happens when I put on the oven. The display shows that the export to the grid goes up. Problem seems to be that the power usage always corresponds to the solar produced therefore the batteries never kick in
View attachment 86922View attachment 86923
The sun is shining so producing more energy. No appliances being used only fridge freezer same as the first photo. See how our power usage soars in line with the solar producedIMG_20210619_144555.jpg

What make is the invertor and what make is the battery system. There are a number of ways to manage the solar output and battery charge and discharge BUT the arrangement of the clamp meters need to be correct and the battery / invertor system needs to be configured correctly to the arrangement of your clamp meters. I strongly suspect this is not set up correctly.

What make is the invertor and what make is the battery system. There are a number of ways to manage the solar output and battery charge and discharge BUT the arrangement of the clamp meters need to be correct and the battery / invertor system needs to be configured correctly to the arrangement of your clamp meters. I strongly suspect this is not set up correctly.
Thank you. The inverter is a Solis and the batteries are Pylontech US2000.
When I did eventually get a phone call, he had me turn the clamp around

Just found this on the Solid site, does this sound correct?

F6---4kW single phase Energy Storage Inverter。
Got it off here

Yes but the devil is in the detail, so you need to know exactly what Solis product you have. Basically, the output of the solar needs confirming with a clamp meter and the load of the house ditto, against what the display is showing, only then will you know what is wrong. I cannot help until i know what product you have and access to the installation manual for CT locations against what has been installed and what settings have been put in the commissioning parameters of the invertor.
What you should see is:
1. PV output A/C correctly measured
2. House load correctly measured
3. If PV is greater than house, battery charges
4. If PV is less than house battery discharges until exhausted (like at night)

cheers
P&S

Yes but the devil is in the detail, so you need to know exactly what Solis product you have. Basically, the output of the solar needs confirming with a clamp meter and the load of the house ditto, against what the display is showing, only then will you know what is wrong. I cannot help until i know what product you have and access to the installation manual for CT locations against what has been installed and what settings have been put in the commissioning parameters of the invertor.
What you should see is:
1. PV output A/C correctly measured
2. House load correctly measured
3. If PV is greater than house, battery charges
4. If PV is less than house battery discharges until exhausted (like at night)

cheers
P&S
Thank you I understand. going to grab a torch to try and take a photo of the panel. I understood as you say, that the battery would kick in once solar produced is less than what is used, but as the usage rises when the solar rises and usage goes to zero when solar is not produced the battery never kicks in. ? Off to try

Thank you I understand. going to grab a torch to try and take a photo of the panel. I understood as you say, that the battery would kick in once solar produced is less than what is used, but as the usage rises when the solar rises and usage goes to zero when solar is not produced the battery never kicks in. ? Off to try
Is this enough for your needs?IMG-20210620-WA0000.jpg

Nice system !
Here is the manual RHI-3K-48ES-5G - https://www.ginlong.com/rhi_inverter1/1952.html

Your display indicates that the installer has made two connections to your fusebox, one for house and one for critical loads, hence the picture of a house and light bulb. There is only one CT which is measuring grid incoming/outgoing power.

Look at Fig 4.8 /4.9 and see if this represents how your installation is wired. If you look under the Solis, there are two connections , one for Grid and one for critical loads, be interesting if both have been used. I suspect they will have to come back physically to check over the connections.
A photo of the CT would be useful just to see how it has been connected

Reply to Solar inverter problem? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net