Discuss Solar inverter problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Yes that's not the problem. It does do that. It's at night. The batteries aren't used to run the fridge freezers. The grid is used. I'm hoping that putting it all through the house, then the batteries and not the grid will be used.

Up to now, since the emeter was replaced, the grid had been used throughout the night

At night i would expect the batteries to run down powering whatever is needed. As long as the batteries are flat before the Sun comes out, i guess it does not matter

At night i would expect the batteries to run down powering whatever is needed. As long as the batteries are flat before the Sun comes out, i guess it does not matter
Well exactly what I said to the installer.

We have full battery 4.8kw and it's not being used overnight. It discharges to say about 80% as we use the oven and watch TV when the solar is producing less.

At the moment I am using the oven and the solar is powering it along with Some from the battery, with alternating every second or so, using from the grid sending to the grid. Once the oven comes to heat, usage drops and the solar is producing enough .

Once we get only to using only the freezers and fridges it is powered by the grid even though the battery is still 80% full.

That's when the installer vtoldvme the battery wouldn't kick in if the fridge and freezers used less than .30kwh, which I find ludicrous to be honest. Bit sure I believe him.

So tonight I am hoping that as it's all routed to the house, then things will work properly.

See photos with oven onSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210717_180458 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210717_180455 - EletriciansForums.net

Ok still no further forward. On a cloudy day we saw what happened. At 81% the battery powers the fridges and freezers ok. As soon as it hits 80%, the battery goes into 'sleep mode' and power source switches to the grid. No one knows what the problem is - anyone got any thoughts?

I haven't had a chance to read this in depth, but the fact that the battery hits 80% and stops discharging could indicate that the depth of discharge setting is too high. Generally the installer sets the system so that 10-20% of the battery is not used, as even though lithium batteries can be discharged very low you buy quite a bit of extra life for them by allowing this buffer. The installer or Solis tech should be able to see the setting remotely. It could be as simple as they thought they were setting it to stop at 80% DoD and in fact were setting it to stop at 80% capacity.

Sometimes a factory reset and reconfigure can help.

Most likely something that has already been looked at, but thought I would mention it!

I haven't had a chance to read this in depth, but the fact that the battery hits 80% and stops discharging could indicate that the depth of discharge setting is too high. Generally the installer sets the system so that 10-20% of the battery is not used, as even though lithium batteries can be discharged very low you buy quite a bit of extra life for them by allowing this buffer. The installer or Solis tech should be able to see the setting remotely. It could be as simple as they thought they were setting it to stop at 80% DoD and in fact were setting it to stop at 80% capacity.

Sometimes a factory reset and reconfigure can help.

Most likely something that has already been looked at, but thought I would mention it!

Thanks both of you. I've got videos but I'm unable to attach them - only photos are showing when I try to attach.
With regards to the settings, it is strange.as before the new emeter was installed (before it gave up the ghost completely) for 12 days it was working perfectly. The system was installed on the 9th June.

I will try and take a photo tomorrow as the battery is at 83% at the moment and is powering the lights and fridges although I have to say that the power is jumping either to or from the grid constantly since we are using just battery power.

Can you take a pic of the display when it is in that state, i.e. your are clearly drawing power but the batteries are not contributing

Thanks both of you. I've got videos but I'm unable to attach them - only photos are showing when I try to attach.
With regards to the settings, it is strange.as before the new emeter was installed (before it gave up the ghost completely) for 12 days it was working perfectly. The system was installed on the 9th June.

I will try and take a photo tomorrow as the battery is at 83% at the moment and is powering the lights and fridges although I have to say that the power is jumping either to or from the grid constantly since we are using just battery power.
Solar inverter problem? IMG_20210727_050535 - EletriciansForums.netSolar inverter problem? IMG_20210727_050535 - EletriciansForums.net

I see that the critical load is back (lightbulb), its got to be in the parameter settings as there is clearly a load for the batteries to contribute to, but it has decided it does not want to.
I would try and contact Solis again and see if they will dial in and go through the parameters.

I see that the critical load is back (lightbulb), its got to be in the parameter settings as there is clearly a load for the batteries to contribute to, but it has decided it does not want to.
I would try and contact Solis again and see if they will dial in and go through the parameters.
Yes thank you. The lightbulb is back as the installer asked me to do that last night as he said the reason the grid was jumping on and off was due to that, as the clamp couldn't pick up properly with the lightbulb off. Didn't make any difference whatsoever.

This morning both lightbulb and house are showing no usage. 1kwh -1.50kwh being produced by the solar. .84going to the battery, jumping from and to the grid .02 back and forward. So the solar power is being used by the house/bulb but is not showing on the screen.

Installer going to get in touch with Solis.

I did that last week but unfortunately the dongle isn't working. I didn't put the dongle on, the installers did. So Solis can't dial in.

Good fun eh
The system is great when it's working, just hoping this is the last hurdle

Reply to Solar inverter problem? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock