Discuss Solar Limpets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Glos-Solar

About to order the kit for a plain tile install next week and considering trying Solar Limpets plastic brackets.

I saw them at Eco-Build and can see how they could save time (which is not really an issue at the moment).

I am just wondering if they comply with regs and offer any benefit other than saving time on installation. We usually use K2 flat tile brackets.

Thanks.

If they're what I think they are, then I was personally impressed. I also saw them at Eco-Build and thought they were a good idea.

They took a bit of criticism at the time on this forum from people that worried about the strength of a plastic bracket.

I have used them about four times and they work a treat. There is a very useful feature in that the same limpet can be configured for horizontal or vertical rails very simply. The materials used are all certified, I believe, but have a look on their website and contact them if you want anything. They are very helpful and know what they are talking about.

Solar Limpets - Home Page

Tom

have you used the ones that go on slate? they seem to be saying you can seal the holes drilled through the tiles with CT1. I have used CT1 before and it is a fantastic product but i'm not sure using it this way would meet building regs or MCS for that matter.

interesting! certainly like the idea of doing away with lead on plain tile roofs.

NOt sure it radically speeds up installation time over standard brackets as all the stages of removing the tile, drilling holes and fixing rails are the same as I already have on the K2 system

As with any system that relies on drilling the slates, I think it is a really bad idea.

In fact, on the scale of bad ideas, it's up there with blowdrying your hair in the bath.

Ive just watched all the install vids, i think they look naff, but infact do a really good job - i would be keen to use them on slate and rosemary roof jobs.

yeah cause they have two fixing points i think actually they would work on slate. not used them as it is against my principles to drill a slate, but i do conceed that if you are going to go through the slate these are the best i've seen. as for being plastic and problems with high/low temps mis shaping and bending, another reason i go for steel.... others in my company have used them once (on request of the client) and they said they worked well an easy to install but weren't sure about the long term strength of them. steel hooks aren't going anywhere.

Reply to Solar Limpets in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net