• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
  • If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Solar maintenance/repair - Enphase micro-inverters in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I am looking for someone with experience of repairing solar systems fitted with enphase micro inverters. Two of my inverters have stopped reporting and need to be checked. The hardware is within warranty but their warranty only covers parts.

I am near Swansea and the system is fitted on a bungalow so is accessible

Ha. Great warranty.

Also, on a related subject, Fitted Solar Edge monitoring modules once on a system. They mount under the panels. 6 months old one of them had an insulation fault and lost the whole string. Inverter showing earth fault. Had to rescaffold at our expense. Solar Edge wouldn't even send a replacment until they had theirs back. Think they would have wanted it for R&D......I threw it in the bin lol.

Anyway, as you're in a Bungalow. Do it yourself. Turn off the AC isolator and then the DC isolator/s which will be by your inverter. They will be labelled. Then get on the roof and unbolt the panels. The connectors are pull apart, use your thumbs to press in clips. Replace them units and switch back on DC first then AC.

To be fair the main warranty was with the installer who has gone out of business. These are individual inverters mounted under each panel so there is no main inverter. I am afraid my ladder climbing days are over but I have found a local installer now - just waiting for the replacements. About 6 months ago I had the panels temporarily removed to allow for re-roofing and I suspect that the additional handling has made them more tempremental but I can't come back on the person that did it as it all worked fine for several months afterwards. I went for this as the system keeps working should one inverter fail and replacing one of these is allegedly a lot cheaper than a full size inverter - though they were more expensive to buy in the first place!

Cool. To be honest though, I know you have micro inverters.....but 3.5 - 4 kw inverters are cheap enough now and very easy to swap out. Not sure what size system you have. Even if they do fail early. Found Power One Inverters failed a lot. Most by 5 years. The SMA stuff soilders on though. Over 7 years on a a lot of them and no failures. Never had a single panel failure either. Quality install work I'd say haha.

Reply to Solar maintenance/repair - Enphase micro-inverters in the Electrical Work Up For Grabs |Electrical Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back