Discuss Solar panel circuit MCB size? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have asked this in another Electricians thread here. Firstly what size MCB usually required for lets say a 4kw solar panel load? Also it has been mentioned about RCD's protecting the solar panel circuit may not be a good idea. Any thoughts please? It's a brand new house build.i was planning to install RCBO's to each and every circuit. Thanks http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...orum/98430-solar-panels-circuit-mcb-size.html

See below for info from Samil's product manual. Other inverter manufacturers may have different ideas.

Samil Volt Drop.jpg

A 16 A mcb is a reasonable starting point for a system that has a nominal 16 A output.
But it could mean running the mcb near maximum for many hours in the summer.
When in doubt read the manual!
ABB recommend 20 A for the 3.6TL and 25 A for the 4.2TL
SMA recommend up to 32 A for their range from 3000TL to 5000TL

There can be a problem with mcbs running hot near maximum rated current. Manufacturers' websites go into more detail. As the cable size for 4 kW PV is generally recommended to be 4 mm2 or larger, there is normally scope for a larger mcb.

Last edited:
I will be installing 6mm as I have that on site. No point getting 4mm. Any thoughts about 30mA protection? Am I asking for trouble?

I could always install a 20A MCB if 16A near the limit.

"Thanks, according to graph, i could in fact use 2.5mm cable as the inverter is next to the consumer unit. Having said that, installers mentioned 4mm. I've got 6mm, so will use that. I doubt if the circuit will more than 1m."

No, the graph is for the 3300TL model and is given as an example only!! 6mm cable is definitely fine though in a 4kWp domestic situation.

A 16 A mcb is a reasonable starting point for a system that has a nominal 16 A output.
But it could mean running the mcb near maximum for many hours in the summer.
When in doubt read the manual!
ABB recommend 20 A for the 3.6TL and 25 A for the 4.2TL
SMA recommend up to 32 A for their range from 3000TL to 5000TL
I don't think we've had a single case of nuisance tripping on any of the 16amp MCB's we've installed on 16A generation limited systems, which would be all of those hundreds of systems.

I've had to swap out a couple of 30mA RCDs for nuisance tripping, but that's it.

i think burying DC cables in the wall is an awful idea IMO
How would you normally install DC cables in a new build house? Surly, not surface in say trunking? The Solar people wanted it done that way and agreed the route which is basically straight up from main / inverter area to loft space. They wanted it in steel conduit. I went galvanised, even though it was behind dot dab. I even used female /male brass bushes. Would be interesting to know how you and others would do the job though?

Reply to Solar panel circuit MCB size? in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net