Discuss Solar panels installation advice in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

kropaske

-
Arms
Reaction score
Given recent energy prices and further increases on the way i've been think about PV install to reduce costs a bit. I've got flat roof on my shed i can use which does not have much shading so in summer I get around 11hr of sun. I could probably squeeze 9 panels there possibly 3.6kW. Wife work from home so we could adapt to use that energy during the day and may even add small battery for the evenings. I don't won't to spend fortune on it as we are planing to move in 4-5years but given the prices of energy I think I can at least break even in that time and and if not I'll get my money back when sold the house as PV install will add value to it.
I don't have much experience with PV so below is my existing setup. Plan would be to change shed DB to bigger one to allow connection from inverter and all equipment would be located in the shed (inverter, isolators, battery)
Oh, and by shed I mean purpose build structure and not some rotten wood planks...
Doable? Thoughts please? Gear recommendations?

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_191634.jpg
    335.1 KB · Views: 17
At current prices depending on your usage it will take you about 3-4 years to break even. From January probably 1-2 years. Installs with batteries your size run around £6-10k not including installation.

I don't really understand your drawings - are you gonna be putting other stuff in the shed or just the solar?

How we do them at work:

1. 6mm from a 20a (for 3000-3600W inverters) RCBO into an isolator. 6mm will do runs hundreds of meters so you're good for sizing there. From isolator output we go into the load side of the meter. From the feed side of the meter we run 6mm cable into the inverter. So solar feed** > meter > AC isolator > board. If the board is not in the same location as the installation we always put an AC isolator next to the board too, which is my opinion isn't necessary - the local isolation next to the installation with the option to isolate directly at the board should be sufficient, but some housing associations make us do 2x isolation points.

2. SWA 2 core in 6mm is fine and what we use if the DC is being run through more than 1 level of a house. If straight from modules through the loft and then to the room directly underneath the loft we just use standard solar cable.

3. SWA run outside in the ground i'd banjo the armouring. We don't usually bother inside houses and i've never seen any other installation company do it either, but now thinking about it i don't know whether this is correct or not. Seems like it should be earthed just for completeness. Anyone else might want to pitch in with their ideas here.

4. It's good form to go modules > DC isolator > inverter, even if the inverter has a built in isolator switch on it.

5. Use 75mm square trunking and use stuffers to bring all the cables in neatly between battery and inverter.

6. Mount the inverter on fireproof MDF board or similar. They can get hot.

That's all i can think of right now.

**When i say this i actually mean the inverter output.

Last edited:
I don't really understand your drawings - are you gonna be putting other stuff in the shed or just the solar?
I've uploaded new drawing with what I had in mind but yes shed DB feeds some sockets and lights as well.
Installs with batteries your size run around £6-10k not including installation.
I was thinking close to 4k. I don't want all the bells and whistles. Quick Google search:

Inverter

Panels

Optional Battery

And on the top of that isolators, some cables and frames

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_080331.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 10

cost me £5500 to get company to fit. All done in one day Two weeks ago. I looked into doing myself. I could have saved couple of grand, but I know it’s been done right and all done in one day.

I’ve included a link to other thread with more info Of my install.

it’s brilliant well worth it.

cost me £5500 to get company to fit. All done in one day Two weeks ago. I looked into doing myself. I could have saved couple of grand, but I know it’s been done right and all done in one day.

I’ve included a link to other thread with more info Of my install.

it’s brilliant well worth it.
I've been following that thread as well. 5.5k all incl is not bad. What brand inverter and panels you opted for?

Description of goods and services we will provide.
Devon Eco Energy TA Callidus recommends the following price proposal based on the information and suitability of your property.

Description
JA Silver Edge, White Backing, Black Cells
Victron 3kva Multiplus 2
Leoch 4.8kWh
Victron MPPT 250/60-Tr 3.4kW

Solis 5kW S6 Dual MPPT
SolarEdge 3680w

I’ve pasted part of quote above that included the batteries.

Reply to Solar panels installation advice in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net