Discuss solar pv facts in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

bigdavs83

I have some goon coming round tomorrow to give me solar panels for free apparently. Free panels, free installation the full shooting match. I know very little about pv and I've never worked with it. Looking for some facts and figures please gents is this too good to be true?

Before you do anything have a talk to your mortgage provider, a lot will object to it. Others will not advance against a property with rent a roof on it so if you want to sell and move you're goosed.
Tread very carefully. Remember 1 thing, this person is a salesman, he will tell you anything to get you to sign. Salesmen have no scruples or moral compass, they will happily sit in your home making phoney deals with their manager to get you on the hook.
Listen to what he has to say, tell him you'll think about it then ask him to leave. Bolox to hurting his feelings.

Thanks guys. I thought it would be a kinda rent a roof scheme it's all backed by Barclays apparently. We all know they won't screw anybody over. My dual fuel bill is actually quite low and the lass on the phone seemed a bit upset at this. He is going to get hit with a hundred and one questions. Seems a bit intrusive and really not worth it for all the hassle.

From what I can make out PV is still a very good investment if you have the cash to BUY YOUR OWN system.
Having had fairly recent experience of these scum bags trying to peddle it to a mate, in your position I'd take the figures he probably "can't leave with you as he's not allowed by law/company rules/there's an e in the month/his dog just died" and post them up here for an unbiased opinion from the solar guys mate.
I had to threaten to throw the guy out of my mate's window before he'd leave of his own freewill.

Trev has said it all!

You won't get much benefit yourself unless someone is home most of the day to use the electricity generated. You can get an Immersun or iBoost to maximise usage by heating water in your immersion tank!

Generally I would recommend you buy your own system

there's been a few of these installs round here. the system is installed for free, OK, but they get the FIT> you only get what you save. far better to buy. also had the barclays backed mob. basically, barclays lend you the installation cost and the salesman will quote figures of the loan being repaid in 4 years. BOLLOX. ALSO, DON'T FORGET THAT THE SALES MAN IS ON A HUGE COMMISSION, SO, AS TREV SAYS, WATCH THE BARSTEWARD.

I just wish that my parents hadn't taught me to have a conscience, if they hadn't I'd have been a salesman and gotten a hell of a lot better off than I am.
I like to be able to look people in the eye though and to sleep at nights.

It does seem all to good to be true. We have a combi boiler and it's all insulated to the hilt. The kids and wife and I are all out most of the day. So I can see me getting right upset with this punter plus it's Halloween so hundreds of kids running about and it's a Friday evening. Can feel myself starting to boil already. It was the bloody wife that entertained the guy at the door earlier too.

Trev that is exactly what I'm gonna do. Thanks all for confirming my suspicions especially yourself trev

No bother mate, as you can tell I have a pretty low opinion of salespeople. I think you'd have been subjected to a very hard sell because for rent a roof it's the company that benefits. Not you.
Save some cash, or even do the sums for borrowing some (it might pay off) so you can buy your own set up.
There's plenty on here who can guide you through the system

Thanks again. I just don't know if it would be worth it by the time it's all paid for. It requires some serious research not a one sided conversation from some sales guy.

went to see a fella and his wife he restores vintage vehicles
he had p/voltaic installed on his roof his house -- £10,000
it was producing 3.2 kwh as the day was sunny
just saying

I went to a new customer to fit some stuff in their kitchen. They had a PV installation, I found it when trying to find where the only earth cable in the MET went to. It was not connected to the supply earth and the main earth connected in the CU was the water pipe. No labels about dual supply. I gave him a few thing he need to talk to the installer about. A few months later I was back again, no visit from the installer, and he was complaing about the very low output from the PV even though the sun was shining. When I left I looked at the PV and it was facing north and as it was now autum it was in the shade of the roof as the sun was low.

My son in law went for the rent a roof option and the installation was well done. He works from home a lot and makes maximum use of the free electricity on an unshaded south facing roof. He says it works for him.

Reply to solar pv facts in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock