Discuss solar pv panels query in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

bobby101

hi there i just got wind about a possible job installing these panels if possible could someone tell the in and outs of it all i have never done it
i dont know what possible new qualifications i require to do it. and also is it essential to be certified to install these panels i know silly question but just for clarification purposes also what roofing safety courses should i look into if poss please supply me with as much info as possible ta much

Anyone can install it but, in order for you client to be entitled to their Feed-In-Tarrif the install would need to done by a registered MCS Installer. Now to get MCS accreditation takes around 6 months and that's just about when your hair starts growing back. There is a lot of paperwork involved, ie Risk Assessments, Method Statements etc. not to mention your site assessment......

Anyone can install it but, in order for you client to be entitled to their Feed-In-Tarrif the install would need to done by a registered MCS Installer. Now to get MCS accreditation takes around 6 months and that's just about when your hair starts growing back. There is a lot of paperwork involved, ie Risk Assessments, Method Statements etc. not to mention your site assessment......

hi mark, is the MCS for solar panels like the nic, elecsa, napit is for part p?

how much is the assessment?

thanks

MCS costs alot more than that!

In terms of training and investment i would say £2-4000

I can see alot of electricians installing systems and paying MCS accredited companies to commsion them. Much like a fire alarm.

MCS costs alot more than that!

I can see alot of electricians installing systems and paying MCS accredited companies to commsion them. Much like a fire alarm.

And then the signing off company will get kicked out! Unless the MCS company has the paperwork trail form first contact to signing over to end user then it will not comply with MCS rules and so not achieve FITS payments.

There's a reason why MCS was introduced and it is to stop this type of sling it in and get someone else to sign it off mentality. You can't sign someone else's electrical work off let alone MCS works.

Anyone ringing me to sign it off will be put straight.

We just got our MCS 2 weeks ago and all it cost was our elecsa registration, a few additional pieces of equipment and a few books, all the info to get the certification is out there and it can be achieved for much less than £2K but what we did invest was a lot of time!! the certification is very paperwork heavy our assesment was 2/3 on the paperwork and office side and 1/3 at the actual install!

And then the signing off company will get kicked out! Unless the MCS company has the paperwork trail form first contact to signing over to end user then it will not comply with MCS rules and so not achieve FITS payments.

There's a reason why MCS was introduced and it is to stop this type of sling it in and get someone else to sign it off mentality. You can't sign someone else's electrical work off let alone MCS works.

Anyone ringing me to sign it off will be put straight.

Thanks for that info Markc, we have had a query along these lines and I am resistant to 'signing off' other people's work - I am proud of the amount of effort that I went through to achieve MCS accreditation, and if other people want to install panels and get the FiT then why not go through the process themselves - it's painful, but no pain, no gain!

any part P "Supplier" can sign off the AC side of the system, they will go in your mcs book as a supplier because they are supplying something you cannot do your self, so hence not sub contracted, if you want to sign your own part p tickets you will need your lvl 3 c+g qualifications, 2391 and 17th edition regs thats all! by the end of this year all competent person scheme's will require you too have electrotechnical qualifications and the city and guilds 2372. But you are not allowed to connect panels together unless you are under supervision by a qualified competent person!! REAL assurance scheme registered, public liability insurance, lux meter, clamp meters, pasma course if useing mobile towers (easi deck), risk assesments blah blah blah

Reply to solar pv panels query in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net