Discuss Solar PV volt drop and cable sizing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning gents, just a quick one. I've posted this already on the Solar PV forum but thought I'd add it here too as VD and cable calcs are always a good topic of discussion.
So I have a Solar PV system to install this weekend, its a 10KW single phase system on a farm. I'm going to be running a 2-core SWA from the substation to the invertor, the cable is going to be buried and as you know there needs to be <3% VD. My cable calculations are coming back with results of up to 95mm for some reason, this can't be correct surely? Any constructive help would be much appriciated, Cheers, Lee

I thought solar was 1% volt drop but I could be wrong, however if you are pulling 45 A on a 120 m run and the inverter is at the end of the run then I get either 95mm² or 120mm².

V/A/m = Vd / A * m = 2.3 /(45*120) = 0.0004259
so 0.43 mV/A/m
for which 95mm² should be OK as it is not taking the full current.

Reply to Solar PV volt drop and cable sizing. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, go easy on me please, I've just returned to the trade, well I am about to, I received my Gold Card last Thursday. I've been gen'ing up for a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice on a volt drop query we have in our office. I'll explain the scenario and I would really appreciate any...
Replies
Views
Greetings, everyone, After dedicating over a month to researching Solar PV systems, I'm nearly ready to make a decision. I owe my progress to...
Replies
Views
Hello, hopefully ive got this right but if someone can check over my maths for me, id appreciate it. Im needing to install a new supply cable...
Replies
Views
So, I already have solar (an older FITS installation) and it's been particularly successful so I want to extend this. I'd like to do two things at...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock