Discuss Solar still good tomorrow in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"The solar power system itself is likely to last around 40 years providing many years more of household savings!"

How is that the case, as after the Fit period ends you are required to de-comission the system and remove the panels? At least thats my terms and conditions in my FIT contract.

I shouldn't worry about that- given the current climate theres not alot of chance that the company will be around in 2 years never mind 25!!!

Last edited:
Looks like on here we are all using the same quality equipment
How do we compete with prices of £6400 or less on 4kw

You don't - it's all about customer confidence and customer care. Our customers call us at stupid o'clock and are prepared to pay for it. Our customers are becoming our friends. It's a different service.

@Jason121 golden rule is don't compete on price, everyone needs to at least have some basic sales skills. Last year it was different, most of the installers were just order takers. I'm not saying you need to be a snake oil person, however you do need to understand your clients needs, and to help them understand why YOU are the one that can do that for them.

In simple terms to survive you will need sales and marketing skills.

I did suggest this to people last year and got roundly thrashed ... but then in July last year I also warned people of a scheduled price drop in January to 26p and got laughed at as well. We planned for it in September, and planned for the continual drops during this year back in January, so far our plans are paying off. - we identify the customers needs and shown them how we are the ones to help them achieve that - Read Neil Rackham's book 'SPIN Selling' (thats not the Gordon Brown / Blair version of SPIN :) ) and Michael Port's book 'Book Yourself Solid'

because like we said

spend 6400 on cheap panels and an installer who will ride off into the sunset. (look at all the problem post from people who have bought CHEAP systems bet they all poly with a cheap inverter)

or spend a few quid more on TOP quality trusted brands that will last a lifetime with an installer that cares about their customers.
I've no doubt that most installers on here do care and won't be riding off into the sunset just after the system goes up. Nevertheless, just how many installers are going to be trading as the same outfit for the full 25 years if anything goes wrong? In practice, given all the variables involved in continuous trading in the same field, good installers are nearly as likely to be doing something different in a few years as bad ones. Of course, a competent installation is less likely to present problems than those slung up by the cowboys, but I suspect that the public understands that a full 25/20 year guarantee is likely to be illusory from any trades people. The bottom line is that most people don't have the knowledge to judge who are the decent ones and who are likely to be still around amongst all the unfamiliar names that have sprung up in this relatively new commercial field, so for many the whole thing is something of a gamble and lower prices are likely to be the main driver in their decisions.

Reply to Solar still good tomorrow in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net