Discuss Solar Thermal in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I know this is somewhat off topic but we've been asked to look at an existing Thermal system by one of our potential PV customers. It's 2 years old installed incorrectly by a cowboy who's now in the process of folding.

The customer wants a new panel but would like to re-use the existing cylinder. Is this possible under MCS and would the system be eligilbe for RHI in this situation? As far as i can tell the cylinder is MCS approved.

I understand this might not be the correct place for this thread and am happy to be advised where to post this kind of question in future but i respect the opinions of the regular contributors here...

Thanks...

Last edited:
The terms for the RHIs aren't known yet (should be July next year as far as I know) but I would imagine that systems that were fitted 2 years ago would not be eligible for RHIs.

I agree with Biggs. RHIs aren't confirmed as yet but by the sounds of your post it wouldn't be eligible to achieve RHIs as it is an existing system. Changing the cylinder can be seen as maintenance rather than installation.

Cheers guys, that is roughly what i had thought. What are your thoughts on installing a complete new system and adding the old tank for extra storage capactiy? The position of the panel will be different to accomodate our PV array.

The customer knows he'll probably have to shell out for a complete new system but doesn't want to scrap the 2 year old stainless cylinder...

There is the option to use the original tank as an accumulator/heat slave. This reduces the heat taken from the cylinder into the thermal collectors in cold weather. One of the disadvantages of thermal is that in cold weather the cylinder can pass heat outwards into the collectors. By using a accumulator this is reduced as the heat taken out is only what has been put in and isn't what's been purchased to boost the cylinder up to a usable temperature.

Reply to Solar Thermal in the Solar Thermal Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net