Discuss Solar Wdge monitoring in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

PengEF

Would it be worth asking for these on a roof with zero shading? Kind of like the idea of being able to monitor each panel and the fact it's ethernet. This bluetooth for SMA really doesn't impress me.

Reasons why

Each panel has own MPPT (Power point tracker ) so the system wattage is not average out , so instead of one MPPT averaging the performance of 8 panels ie if you have each panel producing diffrent wattages which in most cases you will the sma will take the wattage of each panel and divided it by 8 giving you the wattage priduce.

Solar edge does not do this so if you have a panel running higher than rest of panels you will get wattage given

online monitoring , email alerts etc etc...

you can mix and match modules so if say in 15 years you have a faulty panel what optinos have you got with an SMA

1. Find like for like panel ??? whoops I cant manufactor not around no more or not in production ????
2. lose that panel and go from 16 panel to 15 panel system

with solar edge you can just get a panel that looks the same even if diffrent voltages or current and simply swap it no hassle.

Shading is another good thing even tho you said you do not have this

Solar edge need to make me Cheif uk Rep ???

you can mix and match modules so if say in 15 years you have a faulty panel what optinos have you got with an SMA

Just to play devil's advocate. If you assume that you will have to replace an inverter at least once during the expected 25 year life span of a system, then you could buy a string inverter now, and then replace it in about 10-12 years with whatever micro-inverter technology is around in 10-12 years time which would still cater for faulty panels (assuming that you don't get faults in the first 10-12 years). This may be more cost effective than going for micro-inverters right now (unless you need to due to shading, odd roof shapes etc.).

Also if one of the micro-inverters dies in 15 years time, you might find you can't replace it without replacing all the micro inverters on system.

If cost is no object, and you are interested in maximising the generation (or the extra bells and whistles), micro-inverters are clearly the way to go. If ROI is the driver, then not necessarily so.

No seems to have mentioned that the new generation of optimsers from SE will work with any string inverter without any interface box, if that's something you wanted to do that is. I assume you wouldn't only get the inverter monitoring in this situation though, not the enhanced SE monitoring.

Definitely! I've look into using it for a 50kWp install - that could be interesting.

I'm still no sold on the idea that it is a good idea for non-shaded installs so I'm hoping for some more updates from the installs carried out by yourself and Dansk.

I think 50 kwp the cost will hit the roof !!!

Hold on a minute. You can use the optimizers with any old inverter? thought you had to go all Solar Edge?

Also if you did go with another inverter how would you get the stats out of them? keen to put my solar power station on pvoutput when I get it.

your ROI will be much higher I have personaly worked out spending a few £100 extra on solar edge will earn you an extra £200 PA in FITS from a south 4kwp system alone not to add export and fuel bill saving .....

so why buy sanyo for an extra 2k ??????? when you can stick to same panels but use solar edge

Also better point out that the further the move away from south the lower size inverter you need so for example

SE4000 for south facing 4kwp
SE3000 for north 4 kwp if you did this is another matter....

YOU HAVE TO USE THIS SolarEdge Safety & Monitoring Interfacehttp://www.solaredge.com/groups/products/accessories
TO MAKE ANY INVERTER COMPATIBLE BUT IT ADDS COST ITS CHEAPER TO BUY A SE4000

Just to play devil's advocate. If you assume that you will have to replace an inverter at least once during the expected 25 year life span of a system, then you could buy a string inverter now, and then replace it in about 10-12 years with whatever micro-inverter technology is around in 10-12 years time which would still cater for faulty panels (assuming that you don't get faults in the first 10-12 years). This may be more cost effective than going for micro-inverters right now (unless you need to due to shading, odd roof shapes etc.).

Also if one of the micro-inverters dies in 15 years time, you might find you can't replace it without replacing all the micro inverters on system.

If cost is no object, and you are interested in maximising the generation (or the extra bells and whistles), micro-inverters are clearly the way to go. If ROI is the driver, then not necessarily so.

Last edited:
Interesting MEP !what's the smallest size do you do a 2-2.5 kwp inverter ?

Do like idea of micro, but equally like Biggs argument !

solar edge are not micro inverters , the are basicaly external MPPTS instead of having two built inside like sma or power one these are fitted behind each panel on the roof .

micro inverters convert d.c to a.c on roof

solar edge is d.c to inverter se4000 then this converts d.c to a.c

Reply to Solar Wdge monitoring in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net