Discuss Solder Joints in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

SKY

Following on from the recent crimping thread.
What is the best method for solder joining 1.5 and 2.5mm conductors?

Apart from the solder and soldering what other tools or consumables are needed?

Thanks All

I suspect the consensus will be you don't want to do this, but if you do anyway:
1. Make sure the soldering iron is up to the job - e.g. it can deliver enough heat quickly enough (I'd suggest a temperature controlled iron with separate power supply, or Metcal thermostatic bit type - not one of the cheap "toys" you see in hobby electronics shops).
2. Watch out for the insulation melting/peeling back as you solder - and you'll need some sleeving such as heatshrink.

I suspect the consensus will be you don't want to do this, but if you do anyway:
1. Make sure the soldering iron is up to the job - e.g. it can deliver enough heat quickly enough (I'd suggest a temperature controlled iron with separate power supply, or Metcal thermostatic bit type - not one of the cheap "toys" you see in hobby electronics shops).
2. Watch out for the insulation melting/peeling back as you solder - and you'll need some sleeving such as heatshrink.

Me Dad had a copper bolt filed to a wedge shape fixed to a length of steel rod with a wooden file handle stuck on the end ..... and a gas ring & tin of flux ........ worked perfectly every time.

Apart from the solder and soldering what other tools or consumables are needed?

Stating the obvious a wee bit here but a steady set of hands usually comes of use.

I have never soldered anything other than low voltage joints myself, i too believe soldering is only ever associated with electronics rather than mainstream electrical circuits.

Me Dad had a copper bolt filed to a wedge shape fixed to a length of steel rod with a wooden file handle stuck on the end ..... and a gas ring & tin of flux ........ worked perfectly every time.

I have a very similar tool, (not a bolt, a proper lump of copper) made as part of my college course in,,,,1968.

And we used to used soldered lugs on cable and hammers and rawlplug tools and water levels and thread the end of plain rod for hanging lighting trunking non of this allthread stuff.

They used to solder underground cables years ago,seen it done in the days before scotchcast resin joints came about.

what you mean, remember. i still use mine. made in college, 1967. have to use a blowlamp on it now though, as we have installed central heating. got no bloody fire now.

Fit physio with VERY manipulative hands. She was brilliant for my shoulder joint, among other things..

we generally put shoulder joints in the oven. lamb or pork, not fussy.

Weak-back ferules, tin-mans solder, resin (amber) flux, gas torch and a mate you can trust.
Oh sorry it’s 2.5. 100W iron, cored solder and heat shrink.

To solder 2.5 mm copper you need a 250W soldering Iron, melting insulation, dry joint, shaky hands, no, seriously I wouldn't do it.

250 watt iron? what a crock... A decent 45 watt weller wil solder 10mm with NO problem at all.
Do you think all the intenal wiring in say a washing machine is crimped? Think again ... sodered joint in copper cables are absolutly fine as long as you know what you are doing..

To solder 2.5 mm copper you need a 250W soldering Iron, melting insulation, dry joint, shaky hands, no, seriously I wouldn't do it.

hands are steady as a rock after a few pints,

Reply to Solder Joints in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock