Discuss Sole Trader-Taking On Extra Labour in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

poirot

As the title reads, how do you employ someone to help at busy periods.

Are there any forum members who can offer some guidance on how to hire temporary labour, I am a sole trader so seeking advice on insurances, payment and any other points that are required etc. Any advice would be grately apprieciated.

Thanks in advance.

Well, you could just subcontract, then it's pretty much up to them what tax and insurance they pay. I think.

I used to request an invoice and just leave it up to them.

You could look at CIS and pay their tax at source

Or bit the bullet and do what I have now done and go the PAYE route, believe it or not they have been quite helpful!

I just sub contract to other self employed sparks. You have to register with cis as a contractor and verify them to see what level of deduction is to be made(usually 20%). Then when they invoice you give them a statement showing the deduction. Then every month you do a monthly return showing what you have deducted and pay the taxman.

The only downside is that you need to do a monthly return every month regardless of whether you have any sub contract labour or not. A late return is an immediate £100 fine.

The cis were actually pretty helpful when I was setting this up.

OMG not 2 Durham spark!!!!!!!!

Your not ginger too are you???

Last edited:
Hi Rocker, Cbw & DS

Thanks for your replies, So with the cis route i register as a contractor make reductions then complete monthly returns, Whats involved with the monthly returns, is it a case of sending records in each month or can you keep records and notify by phone monthly. As this may be a one off at the moment am i able to just take an invoice and pay without taking deductions or does it have to be the cis route. What are my responsabilitys depending on either route, is it advisable to have some kind of contract.

The monthly retuns are just a form to be filled in each month showing how much you have deducted and who from. Don't think it's too advisable to do it without taking deductions if the work falls into the scope of the cis which it most likely will do. You can register to do the returns online and when you have not paid any subcontractors you make a nil return. Give the cis helpline a call and they will go through the process with you.That's what I did and registered as a contractor/employer over the phone.

As the title reads, how do you employ someone to help at busy periods.

Are there any forum members who can offer some guidance on how to hire temporary labour, I am a sole trader so seeking advice on insurances, payment and any other points that are required etc. Any advice would be grately apprieciated.

Thanks in advance.

Unless you can pretty well guarantee yourself that you can pay someone through thick and thin mate, just use guys on a sub contract basis - as said, there are two ways of doing that - ask them to raise an invoice on you after the work, or deduct their tax via CIS (which the IR will want you to do if you're using a volume of sub labour).

You can still buy materials, and you just account for the labour as sub-contract, or casual labour - the materials in the same way as for any other job.

Least pain route is to ask them for an invoice.

shut it st johns ambulance!!!

keep the user name mate might deflect some of the tripe that gets sent my way from the jokers on here!!

high tower i have your number!!! you need to advertise your services some where!! lol...! just wait till im on a boring night shift!

Thanks DS2

So once i register with CIS as a contractor/employer what insurances are required, would i be right in saying employers liability insurance? How much does this cost roughly.

I did not at that point have employers liability as they are self employed contractors.

I do now as employing PAYE......Looking through my files and cannot find it, just added it to my public liability

Thanks DS2

So once i register with CIS as a contractor/employer what insurances are required, would i be right in saying employers liability insurance? How much does this cost roughly.

No, you won't need employers - but you will need to carry sufficient public liability. In any of the cases, your subbies will need to carry their own PL insurance too, which you should keep a copy of and check periodically.

When you register under CIS you effectively become a tax agent, and no more. You are undertaking to pay tax on behalf of those employed by you on a casual basis - the sole purpose of which is so the revenue lose less income from those not declaring their income properly.

The whole reason for the scheme was to try to eliminate cash in hand work....i.e. by making those further up the food chain a little more culpable.

Again, unless you intend to use labour in this way consistently, there's no benefit unless the work you're getting them to do falls entirely within the scope of the CIS scheme.

Reply to Sole Trader-Taking On Extra Labour in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock