Discuss Solic 200 alongside Battery system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

styleruk

DIY
Reaction score
I've seen similar questions but not one that specifically answers my question.
I have a Moixa battery system in my house that uses a clamp sensor on the live feed to use excess solar power to charge batteries, that's all fine of course.
Problem is, and you may guess this, when I fit the Solic 200, I have to clamp the same feed so I can use excess electric to heat the hot water. Then I get this problem of the battery draining to heat the hot water, clearly, having two sensors on the same feed produces a kind of feedback loop that builds up until the battery is flat out heating the water even though we have spare solar and could be heating the water from that!
As I write this, the battery is at 98% (normally would charge to 100%), because there is no spare electric as it's all going to the Solic. Quite frustrating.
My question is in 2 parts;
a) Is there somewhere else I can/should clamp the Solic sensor?
b) Solic 200 has a mode 1 setting which you use to set xxxW and clamp around the solar input, maybe that's a better thing to do, but doing this does not achieve the ultimate setting of using spare energy after the battery is charged.

This must be a common problem, anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.
Simon

TL;DR
How to set up a battery system with a Solic immersion heater. 2 sensors clamped around one cable=confliction.
I've seen similar questions but not one that specifically answers my question.
I have a Moixa battery system in my house that uses a clamp sensor on the live feed to use excess solar power to charge batteries, that's all fine of course.
Problem is, and you may guess this, when I fit the Solic 200, I have to clamp the same feed so I can use excess electric to heat the hot water. Then I get this problem of the battery draining to heat the hot water, clearly, having two sensors on the same feed produces a kind of feedback loop that builds up until the battery is flat out heating the water even though we have spare solar and could be heating the water from that!
As I write this, the battery is at 98% (normally would charge to 100%), because there is no spare electric as it's all going to the Solic. Quite frustrating.
My question is in 2 parts;
a) Is there somewhere else I can/should clamp the Solic sensor?
b) Solic 200 has a mode 1 setting which you use to set xxxW and clamp around the solar input, maybe that's a better thing to do, but doing this does not achieve the ultimate setting of using spare energy after the battery is charged.

This must be a common problem, anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.
Simon
I have a solic 200 (white version) and consdering buying a home battery storage so am looking at possible compatibility issues. Your exact issue was one I thought of and I don't know a solution for the white (newer) version of SOLIC200.

If you have the older Solic 200 (black version), it has dip switches where you can adjust the operating threshold. See page 5: https://www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SOLiC-user-guide-inc-quick-fit.pdf

Start at 100W and work your way up until everything works as you would expect. The theory is, if your Moixa battery has a charging threshold of e.g. 50W, it will detect the excess energy first and start charging the battery. With the SOLIC200 set at a higher threshold, it won't divert any power until the moixa battery is full and there is still excess energy from your PV array.

When the sun is down, the moixa battery will power your house but SOLIC might detect that as energy export and try to divert that to hot water. So I think you could experiment with increasing the SOLIC 200 working threhsold, leaving the CT sensor on the mains tails.

I have a solic 200 (white version) and consdering buying a home battery storage so am looking at possible compatibility issues. Your exact issue was one I thought of and I don't know a solution for the white (newer) version of SOLIC200.

If you have the older Solic 200 (black version), it has dip switches where you can adjust the operating threshold. See page 5: https://www.earthwiseproducts.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/SOLiC-user-guide-inc-quick-fit.pdf

Start at 100W and work your way up until everything works as you would expect. The theory is, if your Moixa battery has a charging threshold of e.g. 50W, it will detect the excess energy first and start charging the battery. With the SOLIC200 set at a higher threshold, it won't divert any power until the moixa battery is full and there is still excess energy from your PV array.

When the sun is down, the moixa battery will power your house but SOLIC might detect that as energy export and try to divert that to hot water. So I think you could experiment with increasing the SOLIC 200 working threhsold, leaving the CT sensor on the mains tails.
Currently the only solution is to adjust the switches to work off solar. Then clamp the solar in cable. I have it set to any above 800w goes to water heater. This is the onky way I can use it, setting the dips how you suggest won't work if I clamp the export cable, there simply is no way to avoid a build up and the battery ends up giving all to the heater. So taking off from the solar input at least gives me an option. My house uses no more than 650w normal use, so the battery trickles a charge, then the water heater takes above 800w until hot, then the battery carries on charging. Seems to work, not ideal but the only method I have found so far.

I would not recommend buying solic200 when you have a battery. No customer support. Emailed them multiple times but no answer.

However I have managed to get it working with a battery.

The thing to do is connect the device up as stated in the instructions but don’t turn it on.
Wait for your solar system to export more than 1500w to grid and then turn this device on. After this you don’t need to do anything. The battery will charge first and heater will come on after battery is full.

Working for me for the last 2 months.

I would not recommend buying solic200 when you have a battery. No customer support. Emailed them multiple times but no answer.

However I have managed to get it working with a battery.

The thing to do is connect the device up as stated in the instructions but don’t turn it on.
Wait for your solar system to export more than 1500w to grid and then turn this device on. After this you don’t need to do anything. The battery will charge first and heater will come on after battery is full.

Working for me for the last 2 months.

Hi Riz123, very interesting post I’m having same problems you had, I’d be grateful if could let me know if it’s still working as I’m thinking of doing the same

Reply to Solic 200 alongside Battery system in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock