Discuss Solid core Aluminium t+e in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have quickly checked the forum and the net in general, I need a bit of advice regarding some solid core Aluminium twin and cpc.

I am adding a couple of sockets to a circuit and upgrading the board but the place is wired in solid core Aluminium. See pic.

I've seen somewhere that MK did specific accessories for this and of course they are no longer available so I was thinking that I will do all terminations into Wagos and then copper into the accessories, does that seem like a reasonable course of action?
What about in the new board? A separate enclosed for wago joints then onto the board?

Insulation resistance readings are okay so far.
Property is a top floor maisonette built and wired in the 60s/70s

I obviously be undertaking more testing of each circuit for the board change. Although i am not touching the lights I might recommend that I take them down, fit a joint above each one and bring copper t and e or flex into the fitting to cover for future DIY light changes etc, does that seem like a good idea?

It must have been at the turn of a price rise as the properties below this one (which i have worked on) are wired in MICC, which i was expecting to find in here.

Attachments

• 1623663002191639910224236100756.jpg
    527.8 KB · Views: 25
In one way I like the Wago approach as it reduces a lot of the stress on the Au cores, also gives you a second chance when a few snap, and they will.

You are doubling the number of connections though, an issue?

In one way I like the Wago approach as it reduces a lot of the stress on the Au cores, also gives you a second chance when a few snap, and they will.

You are doubling the number of connections though, an issue?
Yeah adding more connections is not great but the lesser of 2 evils in this case.

The cores are quite firm but as soon as something is screwed in they could just snap. The old socket i removed they were twisted together so quite solid

Wago have guidance for connecting to aluminium wire, in particular they have a paste to exclude air/moisture to stop galvanic corrosion and help maintain a low resistance connection:

It is pretty rare to see this in the UK, but some folks to stock it:

Wago have guidance for connecting to aluminium wire, in particular they have a paste to exclude air/moisture to stop galvanic corrosion and help maintain a low resistance connection:

It is pretty rare to see this in the UK, but some folks to stock it:
Thanks for that. I will get some

Reply to Solid core Aluminium t+e in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net