Discuss Some advice regarding exterior lighting. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi forum,
I'm after some advice regarding exterior lighting. We have installed some plug and play 12v lighting into a clients garden via the ecisting external sockets. In the same garden in a different area the client has a ground level floodlight which is wired via an external switch on an external lighting ring. He has requested if its possible to remove this floodlight and install a socket to run another 12v plug n play light set. My first response was no, its not ideal.
But having thought about it, my concern is that he may go ahead and get his 70+ handyman to do it anyway.
Could you just add an external socket to the light ring? Or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance.

The lighting circuit is a radial. And I would not do it in any case. Plug in a Hoover and it'll trip. Is the lighting circuit rcd protected

Welcome to the forum mate.
Can you not hard wire the new lights into an external fused spur?
What is the make/model of these Plug-n-play lights?

It’s an external circuit, so I doubt he’ll be plugging in a Hoover... lawnmower maybe.

2 things.

1 The socket could be marked to say lighting only. No different than a socket in an attic for tv amp off lighting circuit.

2 If these plug and play lights have a transformer plug top on them, you won’t get the flap closed on the socket to seal it. (Depends on make of socket of course)

2 If these plug and play lights have a transformer plug top on them, you won’t get the flap closed on the socket to seal it. (Depends on make of socket of course)

Thats why I asked for the made and model. We will be able to inform the OP better if we know this.

We maintain the gardens at the same property so all tools are petrol, even the clients own. The particular plug and play lights have standard 3 pin plugs with an inline transformer, so no issue with the socket enclosure sealing shut.
[automerge]1572079037[/automerge]
Forgot to say that the plug and play lights are Duracell,
Techmar are our usual preference, but the price can be eye watering in comparison.
[automerge]1572079317[/automerge]
The original floodlight (son type) is actually already spurred off to a switch then to the fitting so the client can turn it off on on as needed. If I were to go ahead I'd plan to remove the swith and spur into the socket.

Last edited:
Agree with little spark, imo it's ok as long as its labelled cor those lights only and tested to ensure rcd is ok etc. Do you have the required test equipment and quals to alter the circuit and certificate?

Outside - so it's notifiable work, and no test equipment or ability to certify. As I thought, but wanted to advise that's its possible, but they will have to get the correct tradesman to do the work, as I have explained to them before.
[automerge]1572080395[/automerge]
It's always those with too much money that don't want to part with it when it's necessary to do so!

Surely you just design the the circuit appropriately to protect what’s there. External FCU marked accordingly and to remove the risk of plugging in something too powerful for the cable just hard wire the lights in.

If they have a built in transformer how else are you going to power them.

You will need to mount the socket inside a IP enclosure, if not then chop the plug off and hard wire into a spur. This will void warranty however.

The particular plug and play lights have standard 3 pin plugs with an inline transformer, so no issue with the socket enclosure sealing shut.

What are your intentions for the transformer?
What IP rating is it?

Outside - so it's notifiable work, and no test equipment or ability to certify.

Is the site in Wales then?

I put some Hue Lights outside. They come as a 'plug & play' kit, and I didn't want to chop off the moulded plug. I know it very rarely invalidates your warranty, but I couldn't face having that discussion, if I had to take them back to Argos.

We've had this discussion a lot recently, and I recall someone referring to reg 559.5.1.

Reply to Some advice regarding exterior lighting. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net