Discuss some advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

northeast_james

Basically ive done my time at college and done my 2330 level 2 and 3 worked in verious aspects of work domestic, data, commercial, unfortunatly the job in on at present is ending and jobs are few and far between at the moment, i was just curious as to where i'd stand doing local domestic work for myself, and also regaurds to testing it after, as im able to test but do you have to supply a test cert's threw the likes of the NIC and can you just supply your own certs ? many thanks in advance all advice welcome.

But if you are not registered with the likes of NIC, NAPIT ect then on notifiable works you will have to apply to the council and here it is a min fee of £140 +vat per notification! Very expensive but your only way around it unless you know anyone to sign your work off for you;)

so is it only somebody in the likes of the nic that can sign it off to get around it ? also ive been ready about these notification and non notification works could somebody please expend ?

You don't have to involve the Council if:

* You are replacing accessories such as socket outlets, control switches and ceiling roses.
* You are replacing the cable for a single circuit only where it has been damaged, for example, by fire, rodents or impact, provided that the replacement cable has the same current carrying capacity, follows the same route and does not serve more than one sub-circuit through a distribution board.
* Refixing or replacing the enclosures of existing installation components, if the circuit's protective measures are unaffected.
* Providing mechanical protection to existing fixed installations if the circuit's protective measures and current carrying capacity are unaffected by increased thermal insulation.
* Adding lighting points (light fittings and switches) to an existing circuit, provided that it is not in a kitchen or a special location and only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory.
* Adding socket outlets and fused spurs to an existing ring or radial circuit, provided that it is not in a kitchen or a special location and only if the existing circuit protective device is suitable and provides protection for the modified circuit, and other relevant safety provisions are satisfactory.
* Installing or upgrading main or supplementary equipotential bonding, provided that it is not in a kitchen or a special location and you comply with any other applicable legislation, such as the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations.

thanks for that i dont mean to just keep askign questions but i keep finding more stuff i want to know i been on the NIC site and the NApit site as far i could see to register with them you need 2391 Nvq 3 and part p am i right im thinking that ?
p.s cirrus thanks alot

Keep asking - everyday is a schoolday! NIC will possibly accept you without 2391 and without NVQ3. I know people who have been accepted without these. As for Part P - it is not a qualification, but a document within building regs.

yea i have read about part p, im under the impression that its a course to show your competance am i right im what im thinking ? and for been accepted without 2391 and nvq 3 do you just have to show your competance

Last edited by a moderator:
to join the NIC as a domestic installer you will get away with the EAL DEI (which is what people call the Part P) and 17th edition

With Napit's scheme you can join with these, but are limited to Level b & C scope works, and then only as an 'adjunct' to your main trade (ie plumber putting in fused spur for bolier)

think Elecsa will accept these quals

the 'competence' is your two jobs and your on site assessment

What happens if, for example you are only doing a spurred socket or even changing a socket and the circuit is not protect by an RCD? Can you still complete the work for the customer or not? ie I would have thought 70% of households or more dont have there ring mains protected by RCDs

depends, if you are going 16th or 17th

if you are going 17th then your alterations/additions must comply with it

so if the spur cable is buried and nor protected, or/and the socket is not labelled for one specific item of equipment, then yes, its gotta be an RCD

and no, you cant use an SRCD, becuase that wont protect the cable

i have been saying this for a while: even the simplest of jobs under the 17th could result in a board change before the work itself starts

And yet i can legally change a set of brakes on a 200mph car and when they do not work i am ok> !!!
why are there so many regs involded these days ? Shame mechanics etc are not having to fill in forms when doing work etc

And yet i can legally change a set of brakes on a 200mph car and when they do not work i am ok> !!!
why are there so many regs involded these days ? Shame mechanics etc are not having to fill in forms when doing work etc

erm....put the brakes on an RCD......or something:p

erm....put the brakes on an RCD......or something:p

pmsl nice one shakey ! id put brakes on one if i could find a 200mph RCD ! tried a few times onece when i wired one between 2 phases of a 3 ph supply the other time when i wired the same RCD in fact to southern electrics reading substation killed 124356 migrating geese but didnt reach the 200 mark so no brakes required could have needed them if it wouldnt have met the geese and was going to retry but due to being banned by S.E.B from going anywhere near a substation cant redo the speed test. Mabe you can try for me and if successfull were make good profit designing RCD brakes during this quiate period !

Reply to some advice in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock