Discuss Some Advise Please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

JimJam

Hi

Over the last 30 years I've basically taught myslef to be an electrician of sorts. I've also spent 10 years working for a mobility company repairing stairlift boards, stairlifts, scooters etc.

I want to become a self ermployed electrician and wondered what minimun qualifications by law I would need?

Any help would be deeply appreciated

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike
depends on what you want to achieve most people that start late go the domestic installer route details can be found on NICEIC and NAPIT and ELECSA websites but either way the bs7671 2008 17th edition would be a good start.
Regards
Tony.
P.S. Keep an eye on domestic installer posts.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tony, thanks for the reply.

I actually should have mentioned that I've recently completed my 17th edition through City & Guilds.
So all I would need to do then is to register with a part p body? Is that legally enough to be a self employed electrician?

Cheers

Mike

unfortunately , yes! dont wish to sound orrible;) but depending on which bunch of money grabbing ba*****ds you go with , 17th ed is all you require.:confused::confused::confused:
some part p assessors require you to have 2391 inp & test but not all,
dont forget about your public liability insurance ;)

Hi Mike
This would certify you to sign off your own work as a domestic installer ie domestic electrical installations then test/inspect then sign off certificate for compliance with bs7671 2008.
As you wish to go self employed its prob best to start here then give it a year and then get C & G 2391-10 test/inspection and get assessed for approved contractor status but you will need to do commercial/industrial jobs for this. give a scheme provider a call regarding this. If you wanted to work as electrician for a company theres more to do as most require jib grade electrician and you will need C & G 2330 2 & 3 then nvq level 3 to get this grade with your C & G 2391-10 & C & G bs7671 2008 but you might struggle getting the onsite exp for this thats why i suggest the domestic installer route.
Regards
Tony.

unfortunately , yes! dont wish to sound orrible;) but depending on which bunch of money grabbing ba*****ds you go with , 17th ed is all you require.:confused::confused::confused:
some part p assessors require you to have 2391 inp & test but not all,
dont forget about your public liability insurance ;)

Hi Markspark
Dont forget the NICEIC provided you can prove compitant and pass assessment cryteria they do allow people to pass assessment provided they complete the required qualifications within a year of assessment.So you could even be unqualified ! :(

Hi Markspark
Dont forget the NICEIC provided you can prove compitant and pass assessment cryteria they do allow people to pass assessment provided they complete the required qualifications within a year of assessment.So you could even be unqualified ! :(

Does anyone else think some scheme providers are taking the ****??:mad:

I think most of the providers allow membership without certain quals, provided you can answer a serious question and answer session first.

This was basically set up for 'time served' electricians with no formal qualifications but had the knowledge.

You are then required to achieve 17th edition within, i thought, six months, but maybe it is a year.

Sorry to be a pain guys but just to repeat myslef if I'm Part P approved and I've got my 17th edition and public liability insurance I can become a self employed electrician?

Also how does Part work? Does someone come and inspect my work?

Also what jobs will I be qualified to do or not do?

Thanks so much for the help.

Hi Jimjam
With this you will be a domestic installer some people call it domestic electrician but call it what you will this will cover you to only do domestic electrical work basically any work under the scope of part p there is a usefull link supplied by Jason a day or so ago.so in a nut shell you can become a self employed domestic electrical installer.
Regards
Tony.

if full scope you can do anything domestic (cousumer unit upgrade or rewire included) yes.

Thanks for all the info guys. :)

Is there a website available that shows what jobs you can do with certain qualifications? For example what extra jobs could I do if I passed the 2391 Inspection & Test.

2391-10 inspection/test is for larger more complex installations but most places require this mainly for periodics etc 2391-20 is for design erection and verification perposes but in domestics you can do the test/inspection and after assessment do the test/inspection with the new 2392 inital inspection/testing qual its the fundimental principals of test/inspect and also ideal for those with limited exp in this area and best taken before 2391-10 if you want to go on to this area. This covers upto 100amps so is ideal for domestics

Last question.....promise

I was talking to a college lecturer (family member in-law) and he says I need the City & Guilds 2330 Certificate in Electrotechnical Technology.

Any thoughts

you dont need this in domestics ! if you want to get say jib grade to be fully qualified electrician then yes the 2330 level 2 & 3 then nvq level 3 plus the 17th ed and 2391-10.But some places will take you on with just bs7671 2008 17th ed. BUT you might struggle with onsite exp for 2330 unless you can do work for free under an electrician to get your exp or get an apprentaship.
Regards
Tony.

Thanks Tony

I've just been offered to do a new installation. I've haven't got Part P at the moment so what will I have to do when I've finished the job?

Cheers

Mike

Hi,

This is a very disturbing thread :(

I thought this forum promoted safety and the correct way of doing things.

Here people are encouraging someone -who is self taught with 17th edition (look it up

in the book) qualification- to go out and do full house rewires.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't allow someone that under-qualified to change a light bulb in

my house, let alone fiddle with my consumer unit.:)

Just my opinion - sorry

Wayne

Hi,

This is a very disturbing thread :(

I thought this forum promoted safety and the correct way of doing things.

Here people are encouraging someone -who is self taught with 17th edition (look it up

in the book) qualification- to go out and do full house rewires.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't allow someone that under-qualified to change a light bulb in

my house, let alone fiddle with my consumer unit.:)

Just my opinion - sorry

Wayne
you still need to prove comp with one of the bodies so not as easy as just 17th ed and away you go.
Regards
Tony.

Hi Lads, I was wondering if anyone on the forum had any info on Domestic Installer courses in or near scotland? Seem to get nothing when searching. Any feedback would be great....
Cheers....;)

Reply to Some Advise Please in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock