Discuss Some help with coding please for an EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening..

I have just carried out an EICR and I am a little unsure on which code to issue for the following 4 things:

1. The cover has been cut on the fuse box to make way for the plug in mcb's (see picture). I see this all the time. A consumer unit is perhaps the single most important electrical item in the house, surely it should not be tampered with by cutting the cover off? C2?

There are 2 x 6mm bonding cable leaving the board. The gas is bonded. The water has no visible bonding clamp. It tests 117ohms to earth where it enters the house, shortly after in the same room there is a plastic joint. After this plastic joint it, again in the same room, it is metal and tests as 0.009Mohms. Both are extraneous. C2?

A knockout has been taken out of the bottom of the fuse box, it has one cable going into it. The hole is large enough for a child to fit their small finger into. The board is under the stairs and easily reachable. C2?

There are 2 switched FCU's in the bathroom outside of the zones. It's instilled into you never to fit a plate switch in a bathroom but the OSG actually states a plate switch is ok outside of the zones. No code?

Cheers guys.

Ps.. I'll try and figure out how to put a picture on in a bit. It used to be so easy!

1. The cover has been cut on the fuse box to make way for the plug in mcb's (see picture). I see this all the time. A consumer unit is perhaps the single most important electrical item in the house, surely it should not be tampered with by cutting the cover off? C2? if no access to live terminals, no code.

There are 2 x 6mm bonding cable leaving the board. The gas is bonded. The water has no visible bonding clamp. It tests 117ohms to earth where it enters the house, shortly after in the same room there is a plastic joint. After this plastic joint it, again in the same room, it is metal and tests as 0.009Mohms. Both are extraneous. C2? futrher iv. req.

A knockout has been taken out of the bottom of the fuse box, it has one cable going into it. The hole is large enough for a child to fit their small finger into. The board is under the stairs and easily reachable. C2?can that finger rech live parts?

There are 2 switched FCU's in the bathroom outside of the zones. It's instilled into you never to fit a plate switch in a bathroom but the OSG actually states a plate switch is ok outside of the zones. No code? agree no code.

Those covers actually have an indented part to knock out for just such a case as fitting the MCBs' into the older fuseholders, it is very common practice. I think I might be worried or want to know more about the odd MCB white with a red button, mixing different manufacturers items possibly? Bottom of consumer unit should meet IP2x the great british finger!

Do you know what the fuse cover is for, if you do not how can you Code it. You do not base a Code on whether some bin lid can fit its finger through it.

The cover was more applicable to the previous bs 3036 fuses though one does remain

Those covers actually have an indented part to knock out for just such a case as fitting the MCBs' into the older fuseholders, it is very common practice. I think I might be worried or want to know more about the odd MCB white with a red button, mixing different manufacturers items possibly? Bottom of consumer unit should meet IP2x the great british finger!
That odd white one is an MEM QCB.

The fuse cover was to contain the possibility of the fuse wire being a fire hazard in certain conditions. But what to do now the others are in? Suggest another MCB fitted, wylex of course. Never seen those MEM ones though.

The fuse cover was to contain the possibility of the fuse wire being a fire hazard in certain conditions. But what to do now the others are in? Suggest another MCB fitted, wylex of course. Never seen those MEM ones though.
I believe that Wylex gave some advice that if plug in breakers were to be fitted the cover could be cut out to create a barrier to give it some sort of IP rating even though that was never its intention in the first place, this adaption should only be done if there was no 3036 fuses still in situ. As you say it's original purpose was to contain melting fuse elements.

Last edited:

Are you sure about that Vortigern? On the inside of the covers are the numbers and space to write circuit identifications so it seems unlikely these would be classed as knockouts? Also, were plug in mcb's around when these 3036 boards were made? I wouldn't have thought so.

Plus, if you look in the middle of the picture you can clearly see bright shiny copper? I realise it meets IP2X, but?

The cover is there to prevent access to live parts when withdrawing a fuse or mcb . It was designed so that the middle is a K/O if mcb's are fitted. If the correct mcb's and fuses are fitted they cannot be withdrawn with the cover in place even with the middle out. With the cover missing the devices can be pulled forward with the fingers and live parts accessed. Without the cover in place I would code 1 if the board was accessible, 2 if it was out of reach, no code if the cover is in place but with a note stating the importance of the cover, and the importance of switching off the main switch before withdrawing any device.

The cover is there to prevent access to live parts when withdrawing a fuse or mcb . It was designed so that the middle is a K/O if mcb's are fitted. If the correct mcb's and fuses are fitted they cannot be withdrawn with the cover in place even with the middle out. With the cover missing the devices can be pulled forward with the fingers and live parts accessed. Without the cover in place I would code 1 if the board was accessible, 2 if it was out of reach, no code if the cover is in place but with a note stating the importance of the cover, and the importance of switching off the main switch before withdrawing any device.
That is totally incorrect its original purpose was to prevent molten fuse elements being blown out. The centre part was never a section to be knocked out.

You can disagree but #16 is totally incorrect.

So how did wylex intend plug in mcb's to be installed? The cover will not fit with mcb's! Without a cover live parts can be accessed by simply pulling out a device with the fingers. If the cover is used as intended by the manufacturer then when the K/O is removed there wont be any fuses FFS , so there's no requirement to contain molten copper!!!

Reply to Some help with coding please for an EICR? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock