Discuss Some old equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
As it says. Old stuff I found.
Building is and old mill (paper I think) that’s been empty for 20 odd years. Some 13A sockets in the offices, but most of the industrial stuff has been removed.

Unused joint box in attic. Most of the installation is in imperial conduit, and the odd bit of lead sheathed twin still clipped but not in use. This joint box didn’t have anything in it, but I think it used to. It’s now in my tool box.
5F4B4358-8E36-433C-B8CD-8F08D49EBE87.jpeg

Next, found in an office next to a boarded up fireplace. 15A socket with what I think is a push button on/off switch that you operate with your foot.

33E5E424-99E5-4236-923D-8D0986551B49.jpeg

Multiple gang switches for the big factory room. Every switch in the place is old Crabtree toggle switches, but this is biggest.

E092352A-7E13-4DBC-A043-F371DCCC7529.jpeg

Old isolator and starter for something that is no longer there.

6C0B40D2-60DB-4839-9378-B84D99726AEF.jpeg

And finally... an instruction sheet for the office staff on how to operate those new fangled telly-phoney things (finger dial... not number buttons. I remember them myself)
Explaining what each of the tones you might hear on the line.

5F64A70D-C883-4F57-A02B-0747D891946A.jpeg

I’ve had a little google of the place. Turns out it was a textile mill. Typical in the Scottish Borders, and the building I’m working in is only half of what was once there.
Found this photo. The 3 storey buildings are no longer there, just the lower ones on the right.

3B63E2EE-654E-4696-BA22-3F347974E88D.jpeg

The online article does say the site had been derelict since 1974!

I’m working at the far end of the lower buildings which is old offices.

One last photo, and I hope it’s clear enough.
On a little wander round the factory end of the building, there’s a few rotten floorboards where you can see the top of the ceiling below.
At the moment there is no access to the ground floor. They can’t find the key...

But what I’m wondering is could the ceiling be asbestos cement sheets? The offices are lath and plaster... would the factory end be different?
I just think the material has that rippled texture you get with asbestos boards.

93B395A0-BAAD-4952-9D20-C2BD48B199BE.jpeg

I will be mentioning it to the customer on Friday.

I think old industrial buildings are really sad... I can't help but imagine how it used to be, bustling with people, the noise of production. Now the noise is the squeak of a container door opening as yet another shipment is opened from China !

Reply to Some old equipment in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net