Discuss Some upstairs lights have stopped working after work done in attic - Help please! :( in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

Rich_uk87

Firstly I must apologize for not posting this in the DIY section, the post new thread button couldn't be found!

I have been laying floorboards in my attic and now 3 out of 5 upstairs lights have stopped working. I am sure I have not screwed through a cable, Im a qualified plumber so laying floorboards is nothing new to me, I have however been nothing joists and placing the cables in there to get the floorboards down so it possible ive tugged one a little to hard, I suspect this is my issue.

Nothing has tripped, and apart from the 3 lights not working everything else seems fine.

Im just wondering what the best way of locating this issue would be? I do not know a great deal about electrics so was wondering how a qualified would go about doing this.

Many thanks

Re: Some upstairs lights have stopped working after work done in attic - Help please!

Maybe you disturbed some joint box or ceiling rose, did you screw or nail the flooring?

Re: apologies duplicate thread.

Sounds like you have a broken cable somewhere, it could be in a fitting where it has snapped snapped off in the terminal, or as you say you may have damaged a cable while laying the floor. It may even just be coincidence.

When you call a spark in explain EXACTLY what you have done to make it easier for them to locate the fault, they will have the relevant test kit to check continuity of all the cables. Shouldn't be to big as job if it is as you describe.

Re: Some upstairs lights have stopped working after work done in attic - Help please!

Maybe you disturbed some joint box or ceiling rose, did you screw or nail the flooring?

I nailed the boards down, and have noticed some small amounts of plaster have come down below so the the nailing action has obviously disturbed the ceiling in some areas.

He'd use his test equipment.

Sounds blunt, but that's the honest answer.

He'd use his test equipment.

Sounds blunt, but that's the honest answer.

thats ok, i appreaciate the honesty, im just trying to work out a way of fixing it myself low cost.

Posted this in your duplicate thread.

Sounds like you have a broken cable somewhere, it could be in a fitting where it has snapped snapped off in the terminal, or as you say you may have damaged a cable while laying the floor. It may even just be coincidence.

When you call a spark in explain EXACTLY what you have done to make it easier for them to locate the fault, they will have the relevant test kit to check continuity of all the cables. Shouldn't be to big as job if it is as you describe.

Try checking the connections near where you have been working, quite possible you have disturbed a connection somewhere

You've probably pulled a cable and broken a connection somewhere,either in a JB or at one of the lights. Chances are the connection was poor anyway as it takes quite a lot of 'interference' to break a properly made connection.Finding it is simply a logical serquence of starting at an accessible point on the circuit and testing,if alls ok move further up the circuit and test again.... Best get someone with knowlege to track it down if you are not competant with electrics,even if you get it working you cant be sure it is safe without a degree of competance.

You've probably pulled a cable and broken a connection somewhere,either in a JB or at one of the lights. Chances are the connection was poor anyway as it takes quite a lot of 'interference' to break a properly made connection.Finding it is simply a logical serquence of starting at an accessible point on the circuit and testing,if alls ok move further up the circuit and test again.... Best get someone with knowlege to track it down if you are not competant with electrics,even if you get it working you cant be sure it is safe without a degree of competance.

Many thanks for the advice guys. I shall start taking up boards and checking. I have an electrical tester so with a bit of luck i might be able to sort it.

thanks again :)

A voltage tester wont really cut it, yes it may help diagnose the fault but wont help to repair it.

and be careful. it might be the neutral that's lost so even if a light is not working, it could still have 240V there.

Hi guys, just to say that everything is working again now. I started to take up boards in order to check the cables and the lights came on again. Presumably there is a very loose connection somewhere but im leaving it for now. As soon as I am able i will get a fully qualified electrician to look into it.

thanks for all your advice :)

Best do it urgently a loose connection like that will easily cause a fire, I would contact an electrician as a matter of urgency

or bridge out the fault with some 15mm copper tube.

Reply to Some upstairs lights have stopped working after work done in attic - Help please! :( in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net