Discuss Somebody help me please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

i know i could hear the brain creaking from here.:D:D:D.

I was thinking of giving you a dumb, perhaps bad spelling (grammar really), or even just a plain 'old' (see what I did there) dislike.

But its BH tomorrow, peace on Earth and good will to all men etc :D

Any constructive ideas on my switch cover?

but then you are introducing an earth potential where the wasn't one before, so could be more of a danger if as person is in contact with a live part and the pipe you've just fixed at a 0V.
Agreed.
But wouldn’t this be the same risk in every house that has water bonded to MET? Or have I misunderstood?

The new generation of sparks,will not bond now,cause that’s what they have been told to do.
Like someone said,we bonded everything in days gone by

I was thinking of giving you a dumb, perhaps bad spelling (grammar really), or even just a plain 'old' (see what I did there) dislike.

But its BH tomorrow, peace on Earth and good will to all men etc :D

Any constructive ideas on my switch cover?

does that exclude women and gender neutrals, or are they covered by etc?

As I see it there are two reasons to bond pipes.One is equipotential(where all the bonded parts have the same voltage flowing through them as the fault current rises to the point of the breaker tripping) or fault protection (where the pipes potentially become live but the presence of the earth wire causes the breaker to trip)

The risk of someone touching two metal surfaces while the voltage rises to a point of tripping (usually 0.4 seconds) is surely un-heard of.
So much better to bond and guarantee the breaker or rcd will trip compared to the pipes becoming live waiting for someone to touch them.
People on here have pointed out that the boiler should be earthed.
0.75mm green yellow is hardly fool proof protection in my opinion.Much better to have a 10mm bonding cable as back up if the boiler wire gets disconnected.

So much better to bond and guarantee the breaker or rcd will trip

but the breaker will trip as long as the (earthed) exposed metal part that has the fault, regardless of any bonding.

The new generation of sparks,will not bond now,cause that’s what they have been told to do.
Like someone said,we bonded everything in days gone by
Who are we protecting ,customers , or DNO from lightening strikes getting coupled too well back into supply !
(what next fancy quenching fuses in neutrals )

I'm currently having a complete central heating system installed along with a rewire. Pipe work will be all plastic with the exception of the radiator tails and the first metre from the boiler as per manufacturers instructions. Incoming water main is plastic and will be joined to new plastic supply to bathroom and kitchen. I don't have a lot to bond but would be interested to know what the electricians take in this will be.. I'm guessing it will be just bond the gas!

I'm a kiwi who has worked in the UK.
We drive an earth electrode at every installation and bond exposed metal back to that through the switchboard. It's VERY rare for us to come across copper pipes
My thoughts
If it's exposed metal work( including copper pipework) that has the potential now or in the future to become alive or is in close proximity to cables/outlets then earth bond it. We include stainless steel benchtops in that.
The other question we have to ask
" is it electrically UNSAFE?" yes = bond

Bonding something that is not an exposed conductive part nor an extraneous conductive part, is liable to introduce exposure to the fault across larger area than previously was.

If a steel worktop is not extraneous & therefore not bonded, when a person touches a 'live fault' and this unbonded steel workbench, there is no path to earth, and therefore no likelihood of receiving an electrical shock. In the same circumstance, a person touching the fault, and this now bonded steel workbench, they will now receive an electrical shock.

Its not uncommon to come across a pipework system where several plastic push on elbows/connectors, or sections of plastic pipe have been installed throughout the system where previously modified (becoming part copper part plastic)!
It would be an electricians worst nightmare to bond each section on the basis that one particular section may inadvertently become live in the event of a fault.

Reply to Somebody help me please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock