Discuss Someone replaced a light switch with a timer.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deuce

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Bit of a first for me. Looking around a house to tidy up as a buy to let and couldn't find the light switch in one of the bedrooms.

Some searching later revealed the previous owners had replaced the switch with an analogue timer o_O

It was the front bedroom so best guess is they had it to give the impression of activity in the house when no-one was home. Bit of a fuss to turn the lights on and off on demand though!

It was several hours off the correct time so I assume they had resorted to turning the lights on when needed by simply rotating the dial until it clicked :rolleyes:

The same house has 3 sockets within about 6" of the kitchen sink too. And a fantastic arrangement whereby the extractor fan has a plug on the end, cord fed through a high level kitchen unit where it is plugged into an extension that drops down, through the worktop and into the units below, before continuing it's journey through a wall and into the hallway, where it is plugged in :)

If its a BTL then get an electrician in as you will need the relevant certs ;o))))

We've had everyone in today, building survey, asbestos survey, plasterer/decorator, and me as the plumber :)

It'll all be done properly and certified. The CU was changed just shy of 5 years ago which is good, looks like a neat job done by a competent person so I expect no major faults lurking. I'll find out for sure soon enough :)

We've had everyone in today, building survey, asbestos survey, plasterer/decorator, and me as the plumber :)

It'll all be done properly and certified. The CU was changed just shy of 5 years ago which is good, looks like a neat job done by a competent person so I expect no major faults lurking. I'll find out for sure soon enough :)
All the other trades will be fine but I'd a get a second opinion on the plumbing as they are a "dodgy" lot.......

All the other trades will be fine but I'd a get a second opinion on the plumbing as they are a "dodgy" lot.......

I agree, they are! And as you know, I'm not really a plumber. I can do the work, but I lack the carelessness and flatulence to be considered a professional.

Like the rest of us on here then, no clue about plumbing and even less knowledge about electrics.......

Always remember these rules and you can't go far wrong:

The brown wire: This is the ouchie one.
The green/yellow wire: This doesn't seem to do anything, it's optional.
The blue wire: Just goes on the other side to the brown one. You can use the green one instead.

In the industrial forum I hear talk of grey and black ones too, but I think that's some form of witchcraft.

Always remember these rules and you can't go far wrong:

The brown wire: This is the ouchie one.
The green/yellow wire: This doesn't seem to do anything, it's optional.
The blue wire: Just goes on the other side to the brown one. You can use the green one instead.

In the industrial forum I hear talk of grey and black ones too, but I think that's some form of witchcraft.
Domestic stuff is beneath me, that's for the ones that didn't "try hard enough" ;o)))

Reply to Someone replaced a light switch with a timer.. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net