Discuss someone trying to kill me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

One ring leg per breaker? Idiotic, but seen it before.....usually crossed.

Once found one unused cable in a 32 cb with one leg of a ring. The other leg was taped up inside the CU.

Last edited:
My probe testers led me down the garden path today... was working on 480v DC motors and they showed only 80v to earth but on double checking with 2 separate voltage meters that showed the correct L+/E reading it turns out the said probe testers show an incorrect voltage .... leads swapped on it battery ok in meter all things checked but still wrong reading... now strangely leaving the probe on the earth point and going to an AC line it worked fine no issues ..... their sending me a new one and if its the same it could be costly but i wont divulge the make until we know why ...could be just faulty unit lets hope for their sake.

My probe testers led me down the garden path today... was working on 480v DC motors and they showed only 80v to earth but on double checking with 2 separate voltage meters that showed the correct L+/E reading it turns out the said probe testers show an incorrect voltage .... leads swapped on it battery ok in meter all things checked but still wrong reading... now strangely leaving the probe on the earth point and going to an AC line it worked fine no issues ..... their sending me a new one and if its the same it could be costly but i wont divulge the make until we know why ...could be just faulty unit lets hope for their sake.

Bleedin' ebay again, eh ?

No legit firm based close to me ..... and not cheap either well made (i think) and rough service. Its probably the fact that not many ppl work at these DC voltages hence if it is a design flaw it could be a recall but hoping its not as they are good testers ...well on AC anyway.

I've heard of this instance , don't quote me word for word but you need a tester with a true ...rms/or voltage frequency value thingy on it , when working with inverters or you do get dodgy readings

Who mentioned inverters? I see you have an indepth knowledge here lol...

My multimeter is about £400 worth my probe testers are £80 so by far these are not the cheap crappy testers you can buy.

Im well knowledged in the sampling rates nd resolutions of my meters and where they can fail... my meters are capable of sampling the pulse train on encoders so small frequencies in testing mains power aint no concern, the dc is supplied by a AC/DC fully rectified 100Amp transformer and although not truely ripple free its not far off - TRUE RMS isn't of any concern here the reading are hundreds of volts out to what they should be and even on AC the TRUE RMS would only adjust no more than several volts at 400v.

Reply to someone trying to kill me? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net