Discuss Someone was a lucky so and so in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sorry

I do tend to follow up on most quotes

I probably exaggerated the 40 , probably more like 20-25 quotes

But very often in the past few years I’m told I’m too expensive

I can not keep knocking my prices down to complete with Tim the window cleaner who does lectrics at the weekend

Working on a kitchen where I have to reroute the cooker cable (now extend the cooker cable)
Customer has been in the house at least 10 years, kitchen was done a good while before that.

First picture shows how NOT to run a cable down a wall.View attachment 49470
I'm surprised it has capping on it, to be honest.

Second picture is how NOT to fix a cooker hood to the wall.
View attachment 49471

My customer removed the old hood himself.... I hope he used an insulated screwdriver.

3rd and final pic.... The damage to the cable. Outer sheath carefully stripped back. Live untouched. Neutral barely marked and cpc… 4 out of 7 cores sheared through.
View attachment 49472
This is why we have zones for running cables in. Diagonally is just a disaster waiting to happen.
This forum is really shocking

Got caught out by this little beauty a couple of weeks ago..
The cable at the bottom I presumed was dead and going down to the plate..
Got a quick zap, knocked out the plaster to find out that the previous spark had looped the cable up from the plate and round to the top and brought the incoming round and underneath..

Someone was a lucky so and so 8C91F9C9-0F93-40D2-A712-47F7333B2883 - EletriciansForums.net

The dishwasher was the earth. The power source was from a wrongly routed cable. Victim’s husband drilled screwed and mounted metal knife rack to wall. Screw hit live in the cable (not in the right place)energising the knife rack. Some time later, Mary’s ankle was touching the metal-fronted open door of the dishwasher, she put a knife in the rack completing the circuit.

She put the knife in the metal knife rack that was screwed to the wall.
Not the plastic cutlery holder in the dishwasher!

Her leg was touching the dishwasher. That earthed her leg. Her hand held the knife and touched the metal knife rack on the wall that had 230volts on it due to the screw being contact with the live supply.

Understand now? Good.

The racks are made out of plastic, with little plastic wheels

Her leg was touching the dishwasher. That earthed her leg. Her hand held the knife and touched the metal knife rack on the wall that had 230volts on it due to the screw being contact with the live supply.

Understand now? Good.

Yes I do understand now,thanks, just the way you explained the story..

She put the knife on the rack not in it.
Depends how you read it.
Understand?? Good.

No need to be rude

Understand now? Good.
So not crossbonding the metal knife rack was a bad idea

I know this is an old thread, but ...
However.... my 'cooker switch' was actually just a double socket which matched all the other accessories in the house. I can only assume electric oven was an option, and the original buyers had gone for gas. The double socket was fed by 6mm from the 'cooker' fuse, and the 6mm link down to the cooker outlet was just coiled up behind it.
Lucky b'stard. At our last house there was a blank plate - when I looked behind it I found the ing * w***ers has just snipped the wires off a little too short to reach any switch terminals. Why do people think it's a clever idea to just snip things off as though there's no chance anyone could ever possibly change their minds and want it again :rage:
But then in a new build my mother looked at they didn't bother with a cooker circuit at all - "all gas innit" :rolleyes:

Reply to Someone was a lucky so and so in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock