Discuss Something I haven’t seen before in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

It has long been decommissioned..
All controls have been removed.
What voltage did it run at?
It is made from some kind of black cloth with those copper strips along the edges.. Did the black cloth heat up?

They were straight 230v, the black material heats up and is sandwiched between plastic sheet. Back in the day there used to be about 1" of insulation over the top. Not surprisingly the 'fad' didn't last long. Probably one of the worst ideas of all time. Similar mats are still used for vivarium heaters etc.

Yes I also thought that about the plasterboard goving a poor heat transfer..
One of my theories was that it was some sort of mesh system created by a techno geek haha

It would play havoc with your WiFi signal, if still used today.

These were a really bad idea, but the same tech is found in electric blankets, and heating mats for seed germination and home brewing, all of which I've used in the past. They'd probably still be good as heating mats: have you thought about selling them on eBay or Gumtree for greenhouses?

I stayed in a ski chalet in France earlier this year that had ceiling heating installed on the top floor. Vaulted ceiling too.

What an absolutely idiotic idea! What possible benefit would it have had over a very similar underfloor heating system!?

I don’t think selling them would be worth my while as I would have to strip it all out from the loft.. Shame though as it seems a waste just sat there.

I stayed in a ski chalet in France earlier this year that had ceiling heating installed on the top floor. Vaulted ceiling too.

What an absolutely idiotic idea! What possible benefit would it have had over a very similar underfloor heating system!?

The only benefit I could see there is keeping snow off the roof.
Unless there was a means of circulating the warm air.
UFH would seem to be the obvious choice..

Reply to Something I haven’t seen before in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock