Advertisement - Content continues below
Advertisement - Content continues below

Discuss Something seriously wrong with my ionizer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

static zap

-
Advent Win
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Wasn't cheap though.
Sadly sales men /advertisers often come out with variants of the truth .. when sales take a dive.
(Some internet rumors are true ... plenty are miss-direction)
I grew up loving the smell of motors and ozone then..
"April 4, 2005 -- Some popular ionizing air cleaners could be hazardous to your health, especially if you have asthma or allergies, says a product testing group."
..Then I found out carbon dust is also bad for you .. (thanks internet !)
 
Last edited:
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #17
This is basically impossible, since the frequency of all line power everywhere on the network is identical, and your ioniser cannot be speeding up the generation plants all over the USA. Therefore something is wrong with that measurement, and hence possibly with other measurements too.

Be sure to distinguish between static charge / discharge phenomena (e.g. sparks and shocks from isolated metal items and from your body to ground) and power line AC phenomena (e.g. other appliances burning up, breakers tripping). Since the ioniser is isolated from the AC line by the wall wart / adaptor, it cannot directly cause high power AC line problems. Likewise, charge cannot 'build up' in the AC line circuit. You may have a separate problem with your wiring that appears to have been caused by the ioniser but is actually unrelated.
Just took another frequency measurement, and now it fluctuates randomly between ~60-64hz when it's on.

It is possible my multimeter is on the fritz. I'm getting a strange resistance reading. What should read infinite resistance (leads not touching anything) is 527-528 ohms... so unless this ion generator is actually making my air that much more conductive, I think I could add it to my list of casualties. Is it possible for a multimeter to get damaged by ESD? Already tried a different battery. Still gotta check the fuses.

Be sure to distinguish between static charge / discharge phenomena (e.g. sparks and shocks from isolated metal items and from your body to ground) and power line AC phenomena (e.g. other appliances burning up, breakers tripping). Since the ioniser is isolated from the AC line by the wall wart / adaptor, it cannot directly cause high power AC line problems. Likewise, charge cannot 'build up' in the AC line circuit. You may have a separate problem with your wiring that appears to have been caused by the ioniser but is actually unrelated.
You may be right. The harmonics, ESD, EMI, do appear to be a separate issue from the dissipative? surges, but I suspect they may be related (faulty power supply causing the ion generator to malfunction). I've read something about interharmonics causing neutral overload with extreme high voltage, which sounded a lot like my problem. I'll take another frequency reading off the UPS outlets, which is supposed to filter out garbage like this.

Speaking of which, this thing somehow managed to defeat UPS surge protection and flipped it's breaker. Fried my favorite lamp. Only load was an LED bulb, so the extra current must've been extraneous. The outlets, ports, and sockets on the UPS were also staticy, just like everything else nearby. I'm pretty sure the power supply isn't directly responsible for the static, since it's there even if plugged in on a separate circuit with no ground.

With the power surges, in most cases it was only the power supply that got fried. The devices remained functional. When I took a look inside, there was no apparent signs of damage like bloated capacitors or anything. Looked like ESD-related death of some IC.

Also tried another experiment where I shielded an affected outlet. Still gotta check if it did anything for the EMI, but it only made the static problem worse. Now the isolated shield was accumulating static charge, in addition to the outlet's ground. Though another interesting thing I noticed when holding a screwdriver to the ground - The static build up is constant, and discharge seemed to roughly coincide with the pops of the emitter. This likewise seemed more or less synchronized with the aforementioned frequency fluctuations.
 

Attachments

static zap

-
Advent Win
I'm getting a strange resistance reading. What should read infinite resistance (leads not touching anything) is 527-528 ohms.
If you rub the meter case down with your hand and take it outside , does it go back to normal. (may just be in a strong static field)
.. Modern DMMs are so high impedance..
Unlike an AVO 8 that just loaded circuit!
 

DPG

-
Arms
Esteemed
Advent Win
As Lucien said, there is no way this thing can change your mains frequency.
 

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
As Lucien said, there is no way this thing can change your mains frequency.
I have to agree with @DPG and @Lucien, every thing you have mentioned like frying your favorite lamp is impossible with static. It still sounds like an open neutral problem. Put you ionizer up for a few days and see what happens. Are you sure you didn’t have problems before you bought your ionizer.
 
Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below

Reply to Something seriously wrong with my ionizer in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Advertisement - Content continues below
Advertisement - Content continues below

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Advertisement - Content continues below
Top Bottom