Discuss Something wrong here ! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

F

Flyingsparks

Customer moved into a 4 bed property a couple of months ago and has just had an electricity bill for £500 for one month !

I was called out to find out what was causing such a large bill, and found out that the immersion heater had been left switched on permanently.

During my inspection of the electrical installation I discovered this main isolator.

Something wrong here ! 2012-02-22_09-44-02_437 - EletriciansForums.net

Apart from the obvious 2.5 cable fused off a 100A fuse to feed a sw spur for the local light, my main concern is the 2 SWA cables that have been used as a sub main to feed the house.

The incoming supply is only single phase but is connected to a 100A service connector and 3 lots of meter tails feed into this switch fuse. The outgoing 3 core SWA cable is then used as a sub main to feed the phase conductor to a 3 phase distribution board in the house.

A further 2 core SWA has been used to take the neutral and earth conductors to the same distribution board.

This obviously does not comply with the regulations as these would in effect be classed as single conductors, & eddy currents could be present in both SWA cables !

Do you think that this could also contribute to the high electricity bills ?

well the immersion heater would not run up £500 in a month

That what I figured, so I started digging deeper.

They have had another electrician fit downlights in 4 rooms about a month ago, but these only add up to about 1800 W total.

I did notice that he had installed a three phase RCD on the 3 single phase conductors feeding the distribution board in the house but obviously did not check the sub main !

well the immersion heater would not run up £500 in a month
It could easily cost £2-300 a month or so if always on. Without a doubt it's going to be the biggest problem.

It would be worth getting the clamp meter out and seeing what each circuit is pulling, and also getting everything turned on when doing so.

was it definitely 500 for a month and not a quarter? i had nearly the same thing recently.

It could easily cost £2-300 a month or so if always on. Without a doubt it's going to be the biggest problem.

It would be worth getting the clamp meter out and seeing what each circuit is pulling, and also getting everything turned on when doing so.

The immersion heater is in the bottom of the cylinder in the colder water so it may may be on most of the time.

The immersion heater is in the bottom of the cylinder in the colder water so it may may be on most of the time.
NIE/Power NI rates, so more expensive!
3kw * 17.4p tariff * 24 hours a day * 30 day month
Gives £376 or thereabouts. If on 24/7 it won't run 24/7 though, it will hit temperature and cut out. Its the main problem though. A lot of other things can contribute on top of it (Washing machines, electric hob/oven Electric Shower, halogen downlights, tumbled dryers....

Would be well worth clamping each circuit and seeing what pulls what load. Could sell a few GU 10 Led's, an immersion booster switch plus maybe others and save the customer a fortune in the long run.

there have been various theroyes about Immersion heaters leave them on turn them on at specific times arguments were
leave it on the stat will turn it off when water is hot and assuming tank is foam lagged it will stay hot for a good while only turning on when water is drawn hence only heating water used bar "ticking over" every so often keeping tank hot
Against time clock When a bath is run FULL tank requires heating due to latent heat ect ect But I doubt £500 would be from immerser as for that switch fuse SOMETHING is wrong you need to find out what goes where and what else is tapped off IE neighbours house ect

The house is heated by oil fired boiler but the hot water was only set to come on for 2 hours in the morning & 2 hours at night so the rest of the time the immersion heater was doing all the work. The lady has 3 very young children so is in most of the time and could be drawing off the hot water cylinder most of the day.

I checked the circuits with an ammeter and that is when I discovered that the immersion heater was pulling load, but could not find much else apart from the lighting. Have suggested LED GU10 downlights to the customer.

Nearest neighbour is half a mile away so it cant be them!

I have installed my data logger on the incoming tails and will collect in a weeks time to check what the usage is and find what times the load is being used.

Are you sure it was only ONE month? Not maybe a little longer for an initial bill, or even three months. It’s easy to forget when the last bill was – they do come round with alarming regularity! This ‘problem’ might be more to do with psychology than electricity.

Have you actually seen the bill? Was it read or estimated? Are they paying some ridiculously over-priced tariff?

BTW, I believe the 2.5mm connection is compliant if ‘back-protected’ within three meters, and so long at the cable is unlikely to be damaged. Horrible, and scary, but compliant nonetheless.

Last edited:
I have not actually seen the bill and I suspect that the amount quoted by the customer may be inflated, but she said that the previous months bill worked out to about £90 so clearly the electricity consumption has gone up considerably.

I am aware that with this configuration of wiring, the armourings of the SWA may heat up due to eddy currents, but could this effect also contribute to an increase in consumption of electricity through the meter ? (It is 38 years since I did this theory at college so am a bit rusty on this).

Reply to Something wrong here ! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock