Discuss Sometimes electricians make me sick in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Classic reply Geordie!

Ranger. Yes that is a total bog up. But please let us see your final solution. (Not Hitler’s version).

Last edited by a moderator:
bit of insulation tape.... be fine. but what a bodge, leaving a JB lid off like that.

I came a cross something similar yesterday, only thing is the place was suppose to have been rewired 2 yrs ago

Probably will have been done by one of those time served sparks that was a trainee for 150 years, been in the job for a zillion years and moans on about 5 week wonders on this forum :icon10: (I'll get my tin hat)

There's good and bad in all walks of life, regardless - but to do something like that on a recent rewire just isn't cricket :)

Probably will have been done by one of those time served sparks that was a trainee for 150 years, been in the job for a zillion years and moans on about 5 week wonders on this forum :icon10: (I'll get my tin hat)

There's good and bad in all walks of life, regardless - but to do something like that on a recent rewire just isn't cricket :)

Would you like to borrow my wooden spoon, or do you prefer a shovel ?? ;)

I take it, that your one of those Electrical Trainee then?? ...lol!!

Well at least he had the brains to tie in the earths as I have seen worse mind this was probably done in the 70-80s when earth sleeving was expensive I worked for a big firm and it was rationed to the extent that you stripped bits of a 2.5 single earth cable to get some so put it down to the sign of the times

Came across a good few in a huge Victorian stately home that I was doing a PIR on last year. Must have found 20 odd in all. Rewired in the 70s by the Electricity board guys, along with no earth sleeving anywhere, metal switch plates unearthed etc etc. One of the sparkies is still around, should I mention it? Lol

Ah, the good old days:tongue:

Last edited:
Yep the old days Taffy just to highlight that 24 years ago I put a 8 way Wylex metal DB with circuit breakers in my house the DB was £70 and the CBs was £7 each so £126 in total yet fast forward and a 10 way dual RCD Wylex £80 buck all in and the £126 in 1988 is now worth £275-£290

oldtimer, true enough mate. i come across this often, glad to know it was standard practice all over the country. ;-). Just goes to show that the there was the clink of spurs and the smell of horse manure around before Part P. Something its easy to forget.

Just to add a double socket was £8 for an Ashly and £12 for a MK hence why some houses wired at the time there was one or even 2 single sockets doubles were a luxury mind I never worked in Hoose bashin as i called it I was in the commercial / industrial sector ie conduit trunking micc 3 phase DBs

Just to add a double socket was £8 for an Ashly and £12 for a MK hence why some houses wired at the time there was one or even 2 single sockets doubles were a luxury mind I never worked in Hoose bashin as i called it I was in the commercial / industrial sector ie conduit trunking micc 3 phase DBs

Not one of those commercial electricians that knows jack about testing and has to be told what to do by others, ....surely not??

Getting back serious...haha!! I remember those once high prices of electrical equipment and accessories. And your dead right, the older domestic installations, will often show signs of those high costs. Why you see so many socket JBs, where sockets have been added to circuits as and when funds were available.... I remember when only 2 X singles were installed to lounges as standard...lol!!!

I remember when only 2 X singles were installed to lounges as standard...lol!!!

2!!!!! luxury. 1 15A round pin socket in the corner for the wireless and cords without plugs stuffed in. iron with a bayonet plug on it, plugged into the light pendant.

Reply to Sometimes electricians make me sick in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock