Discuss Sometimes i hate customers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Anonomoose

Had a bloke call me and ask for a socket and tv point on the wall so he could hang his tv on there. I quoted him £65 as it was all stud wall. ariel above room and socket to spur off of.

Nice and simple.

He called me today upset as his wife complained I did not hang the tv for them. the mount they have got doesnt stick out far enough so the plug fouls the back of the tv, and the reception is not that great. The ariel I joined onto was basically a coat hanger in the loft so not going to be the best anyway. Am i being unreasonable thinking this bloke is a tool?

If they supplied the hanger for the tv it is their issue, look for an appropriate one and quote them but if your wiring a t.v. point its your job to get good reception so you should have checked before the quote, then explained a new aerial would need to be fitted.
You've lost out on a simple addition for some extra cash.

Remember "last man frees all" you need to ask the right questions before you start such as exactly where you want the socket ? Are you fixing the TV yourself ? and is this arieal working ok cos if you dont they will say well you were the last one to touch it.

When I serviced and installed intruder alarms "the customer" would bitch that £30 was a bit steep to service an alarm system I replied why is it people complain about this yet they go out and pay £15,000 for a new car then leave it in the drive enough said.

I was also called out to an alarm when the customer sloped off to spain for 3 months 1 year later he phoned and said I need a job done on my alarm system I said you have not paid for the call out I billed you (£45) he said he did not bother cos I did not chase him for the cash I said good cos I wont chase you for the work.
hard I know but I have been their and there is one lurking around every corner.

All customers are not all bad but best to lay out the ground rules before work commences.

Agree with darkwood on the bracket and whenever i move a tv point or extend one i always check the signal first or like whats happened to you, you'll end up being blamed for the bad signal, can you not eat some humble pie and tell them you can put an aerial up for them at discount rate? and if they get a new bracket you'll put that up for them too, just good customer relations;)

For future ref' aerial signals will get weaker throughout the house if you add an additional point and because the average joe electrician dosnt carry signal testing gear its pot luck if the existing aerial can deliver the necessary signal for an additional point, explain and put in your quote that a booster may be required as an extra to the job if the signal strength isnt good enough this will of course be after you've checked the aerial isnt a coathanger.

Bloomin ell, I have to move a tv arial as part of a loft install. Anyone recommend a good signal meter. Should we be tell everyone time for digital ariel in any case?

He called me today upset as his wife complained I did not hang the tv for them. the mount they have got doesnt stick out far enough so the plug fouls the back of the tv, and the reception is not that great. The ariel I joined onto was basically a coat hanger in the loft so not going to be the best anyway. Am i being unreasonable thinking this bloke is a tool?

You shouldn't have fitted a Socket for a wall mounted TV instead it should have been a switch fused spur with flex outlet. Ideally its seperate spur (accesible) and flex outlet behind TV so power can be isolated without touching the TV. That way the plug doesnt foul the mount.

If you move a TV point you need to do it properly (Choc block or tape doesnt count!) RF distribution is adark and mystical art.... replacing the existing crap cable with proper low loss Sat grade WF100 can often impove reception without replacing the aerial. Also if tehre are multiple TV points Y splitters should never be used only proper distribution amps and Taps and your looking at £500 for a basic meter (i think CPC do the cheapest digital one for about £300 but you need to know what your doing with it)

Just replaced a whole rF distribution system today including feeds to distribute 2 Sky boxes (plus to all rooms, and HD to kitchen) removed 7 Y splitters, 2 Amps, 5 runs of cable and custome rnow has top reception from old aerial which is falling off the roof... (I dont do aerials)

Swires Terry 2 Aerial Meter - TRAC - digital reception products store is about the most basic thats useful

Last edited by a moderator:
Dragon...Bit off topic...Is there a decent AV forum that you know of, as I have to do a bit of RF distibution in my own home (bought the kids a TV each for Christmas) and I am planning to pipe the signal from the aerial to their rooms?

Yooj

"You shouldn't have fitted a Socket for a wall mounted TV instead it should have been a switch fused spur with flex outlet. Ideally its seperate spur (accesible) and flex outlet behind TV so power can be isolated without touching the TV. That way the plug doesnt foul the mount "

wouldn't this require cutting the plug of the tv cable loosing its warranty?

"You shouldn't have fitted a Socket for a wall mounted TV instead it should have been a switch fused spur with flex outlet. Ideally its seperate spur (accesible) and flex outlet behind TV so power can be isolated without touching the TV. That way the plug doesnt foul the mount "

i think the warranty up now anyway this thread 2 years old:hammer:

Last edited by a moderator:

Not that again!

BELEC don't worry about it. It won't ever happen

Reply to Sometimes i hate customers in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net