Discuss Sound activated switch for floodlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am trying to find a sound activated switch which turn on an array of 240 volt LED security floodlights when an alarm siren activates.

My customer has a professional home burglar alarm system with an external sounder that goes off in the event of a home invasion, however there is no facility to connect it to his outdoor floodlights.

Therefore it seems to me that if a sound activated switch could detect the siren activating and turn on the floodlights it would be a way around the problem. Unfortunately I can't find a suitable one.

I am looking for a suitable sound activated switch together with, if necessary, a relay that would compensate the for the difference in load capacity.

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

beter idea would be to use the sounder output to trigger a relay, 12V coil 240V 10A? contacts to fire up the lights. did one back in the early 90's, 20 500Watt halogens. relays supplie off a separate 63A MCB. 4 relays each with 5 lights.

Can't you use the 12 volts from the siren output to power a relay which in turn puts on the floodlights?

The siren operates by wifi, so there are no leads.
[automerge]1586623912[/automerge]
beter idea would be to use the sounder output to trigger a relay, 12V coil 240V 10A? contacts to fire up the lights. did one back in the early 90's, 20 500Watt halogens. relays supplie off a separate 63A MCB. 4 relays each with 5 lights.

My problem there is that the sounder has no outputs, or inputs for that matter, as it is wifi.

i would imagine that the alarm panel may have a volt free relay built in . if so, this could be used

Dear all,

When I say the burglar alarm is wifi I should really have said WIRELESS as it works with its own wireless transmission and not through the home's wifi. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

If anyone knows how the Verisure (or in some parts of Europe it's known as Securitas Direct) wireless works, maybe I could hijack the signal it send the sounder?

any chance of a pic. of the inside of the panel, concentrating on the terminal strip ( usually at the bottom edge of the PCB ) ? most wireless panels have the capability of powering a hard wired sounder.

Dear all,

When I say the burglar alarm is wifi I should really have said WIRELESS as it works with its own wireless transmission and not through the home's wifi. I'm sorry I didn't make that clear.

If anyone knows how the Verisure (or in some parts of Europe it's known as Securitas Direct) wireless works, maybe I could hijack the signal it send the sounder?

If you've not already, have a chat with the company that made it, or the person who installed it (if it's not the same as the company you've linked to).
[automerge]1586628123[/automerge]
The only other thing I can think of doing is possibly using some kind of current sensing on the sounder battery/power supply, but with low power sounder there may not be enough of a difference to be able to reliably pick up the current being used during an alarm.

any chance of a pic. of the inside of the panel, concentrating on the terminal strip ( usually at the bottom edge of the PCB ) ? most wireless panels have the capability of powering a hard wired sounder.

The panel is a sealed unit.
1586628572337.png
[automerge]1586628718[/automerge]
If you've not already, have a chat with the company that made it, or the person who installed it (if it's not the same as the company you've linked to).
[automerge]1586628123[/automerge]
The only other thing I can think of doing is possibly using some kind of current sensing on the sounder battery/power supply, but with low power sounder there may not be enough of a difference to be able to reliably pick up the current being used during an alarm.

Their rep said they make no provision for turning on lights and they don't want you to get inside their products which are all sealed.

I am back wondering if anyone knows of a sound activated switch?

You can get sound activated devices but you would need to confirm the db output of the sounder would activate it.

Reply to Sound activated switch for floodlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net