Discuss spare fuseboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all. I will do some ring, lighting, smoke alarms on the new loft for my client. I haven't space in the old fuseboard, so I thought to install a second small fuseboard. Should I connect earthing cable to the pipe? Thanks for any help.

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Reaction score
For avoidance of doubt -
Is the question that there is a water pipe close to where you want to put the new board, and do you have to bond it to the new board?
I mean, do I have to bond it? The space between the water pipe and fuseboard is correct.

Dartlec

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
If the pipe is already suitably bonded to the existing board, then you don't need to bond it again from the new board.

If you're splitting tails in a henley block or similar then adding an earth bar with suitable earthing cable to the new board might be a handy place to put the main bonding in for future ease of testing/identification.

But if the existing board is the MET then also fine to just run suitable earth to the new board from there if there is space.

If the existing bonding is 6mm then now would be a good chance to upgrade it to 10mm

timhoward

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
@Dartlec beat me to it.

I would say "No, you don't need to bond it".
My reasoning is:
The water pipe should be bonded at the point of entry to the building anyway (assuming it isn't plastic where it enters). So main protective bonding requirement should be already fulfilled. If you want to be sure you could continuity test the pipe with a wander lead to the MET.
Unless the new board is in a bathroom or other 'special location' there isn't a requirement for supplementary bonding either.
So I can't see a good reason to bond it again.

(It was once the case to say "If in doubt, bond it". Some still say this. But I don't think this is a good answer as by following this mantra things can become live in fault conditions that otherwise wouldn't.)

Reaction score
But if the existing board is the MET then also fine to just run suitable earth to the new board from there if there is space.

I was taught never to earth a board from another board and to split the earths in a Lucy block or other suitable accessory.

Never questioned it but now I am. Is it fine to take an earth from an existing board?

Reply to spare fuseboard in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net