Discuss Sparks in Bournemouth, Poole & round to Southampton and Portsmouth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Marti

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi There,
This is a bit of a big "ask"but the only way I can gather what I need to make a big decision. We're considering moving to Bournemouth but there appears to be limited work compared to Essex and, as expected, lower rates as well. All of which is a price well worth paying for such a beautiful area if we can make the move.

My "ask" is what sort of rates do you guy an' gals command for domestic and EICR's ? A fifty mile commute from Bournemouth get me Portsmouth and Southampton so with-in range if necessary.

Drinks around Poole Harbor are on me if can make this a viable move.

Nope, that's perfectly reasonable question Pete. Mrs has Asthma which makes London a bit...challenging. Also, I fancy the coastal lifestyle. Prepared to take a hit on the income if I can afford it (houses are the same price as London!)

Nope, that's perfectly reasonable question Pete. Mrs has Asthma which makes London a bit...challenging. Also, I fancy the coastal lifestyle. Prepared to take a hit on the income if I can afford it (houses are the same price as London!)
Good for you mate, thinking of others, hope it works out for you all.

Where ever I have lived (Scotland, London, Bristol, and many others) I have never been short of work, there is always work for a spark. If the house prices are the same as London then surely (I know I would) the tradesman prices are going to be similar charging fees.

Hi there...i'm feeling a bit let down...if it's coast you want,what's wrong with Blackpool?

Those illuminations ain't powered by gas,you know...;)

Blackpool, pah Peg! Get down to Roker and the Sunderland illuminations....I think most of the cough-splutter displays need relamping but that's by the by really!

Spent a lot of time there,fishing off the North pier,working around and about...illumination run...trip to funfair...

Then i read that the town,at one time,had one of the highest rates of prescribed medication for anti-depressants,per head of population,in the country...to be honest,it immediately sounded about right.

Spent a lot of time there,fishing off the North pier,working around and about...illumination run...trip to funfair...

Then i read that the town,at one time,had one of the highest rates of prescribed medication for anti-depressants,per head of population,in the country...to be honest,it immediately sounded about right.

They call it the Prozac Pier now Peg!!

I just like the fact it rains a lot lot less than my home town of Manny!! Bloody child though...

Maybe stating the obvious, but do consider in addition to a lesser population density than Romford, half of your radius from base is water, therefore your stem mileage will undoubtedly need to increase, possibly substantially. If you use Google Adwords mapping tool, including sea is ok, but avoid Northern France!

You an buy a "decent" house for about £400k, was thinking of moving that way myself one day in the future, still dreaming.

Will ask a mate as he was born and bred in Bournemouth/Poole and his BIL does building/maintenance work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mate came back to me and said,

Lots of work going on.
Every street every turn people are extending their houses. For example the town has so many bungalows and people are doing what we did with loft conversions.

first house he had was a bungalow and they decided to extend upwards and his BIL did the work was the first on the street/area so set a precedent.

Just do what he did and buy a boat, its a money pit lol

Thanks for the job options and advice. Certainly the abundance of bungalows with extension potential, the students in rented accommodation and easy access to Portsmouth / Southampton offer potential. Pity the haddock aren't more inclined to install solar and CCU upgrades.
Also,
Just do what he did and buy a boat, its a money pit lol
Having dedicated years to attaining poverty with motorbikes boats offer massive potential to be skint!

Reckon Portsmouth area is definitely a place to look at. I know a couple of people investing in property in Southsea. Plus there’s always the navy ;-). UK PLC has invested in a couple of big aircraft carriers but the problem is they laid off all the engineers qualified to operate them a few years back so they may need some sparks to get them going :cool:

Reply to Sparks in Bournemouth, Poole & round to Southampton and Portsmouth in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net