Discuss Spd & 18th..............,,,,,, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It reads as a Type 1 will not comply at all for switching surges. Type 1 is only suitable for lightning protection.

However just because a property does not have LPZ protection does not mean it does not need protection against lightning strikes - hence the risk assessment calculation in 443.5.

So if the result of the risk assessment directs to install SPDs then a combined Type 1/2 would be what is required in small installations.

Larger installs I would install a Type 1 at the mains and then Type 2 at DBs.

The risk assessment according to 443.5 is required if protection against transient over voltage is even required for electrical installations except single dwelling units.
If not performed then the installation shall be provided with transient over voltage protection.
Regulation 443.1.1 states that this section does not specify requirements for protection against transient overvoltages due to direct lighting strokes on a structure.
Again I do not see where a type 1 is required if no LPZ is present as figure 534.1 indicates the LPZ concept

It’s definitely one for debate/guidance/clarity?
I’m sure I’ll get there in the endo_O

The risk assessment according to 443.5 is required if protection against transient over voltage is even required for electrical installations except single dwelling units.
If not performed then the installation shall be provided with transient over voltage protection.
Regulation 443.1.1 states that this section does not specify requirements for protection against transient overvoltages due to direct lighting strokes on a structure.
Again I do not see where a type 1 is required if no LPZ is present as figure 534.1 indicates the LPZ concept

It’s definitely one for debate/guidance/clarity?
I’m sure I’ll get there in the endo_O

Having just read it all I agree with you. No lightning protection installed then no Type 1 required.

How do you decide if lightning protection is even required?
I know a risk assessment is required and is under a different British standard, but how do you evaluate if an LPZ system should be considered?

th

we are been round that above ,about spd ,fit or no fit that is the question .;)

How do you decide if lightning protection is even required?
I know a risk assessment is required and is under a different British standard, but how do you evaluate if an LPZ system should be considered?

That would be the responsibility of the building owner to sort. We are working with a lightning company at the moment and I asked a similar question a few weeks back and they use a software package that does the RA for them. He said it is almost always required and it would literally need to be an emtpy shell for the RA to state no protection required.

Reply to Spd & 18th..............,,,,,, in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net