Discuss SPD calculation / Stroma annual assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I've got my annual Stroma assessment next week and the job I am taking them to is a board change. I have not fitted an SPD as by my calculations it was not a requirement (plus a tight customer would not want the extra cost)

I don't think it will be a problem but am just looking for reassurance that my calculations are correct in case my assessor questions me on them.

SPD calculation / Stroma annual assessment 1560974850258 - EletriciansForums.net

shouldnt be a problem, as long as you are up on your testing and paper work,
i was with stroma i thoiught they were quite relaxed compaired to niceic which i am with now. good luck hope all goes well

Hi - calc might need a look at, as you have Lpal = 1km but Lp = 2Lpal +0 +0 +0 . Just my thought.

My concern with the regs here is the almost pass/fail on urban vs suburban/rural. I reckon I can tell rural ok, but when does urban become suburban I wonder? Anyway, I found this post code checker but it’s only got rural or urban. It might help a bit if Mr Inspector wants to argue your decision.

Last edited:
Hi - just edited my post. I thought you might have Lpal which is x2, but if you’ve got all underground Lpcl you’re fine.

Last edited:
Hi - just edited my post. I may be wrong :) .
I know Lp = 2 Lpal + Lpcl + 0.4 Lpah + 0.2 Lpch (Km) but I do not know all the appropriate figures (who does) so I used the max of 1 Km.

I wonder what the DNO response would be if you rang them up to ask for the figures. Might do it then follow up with a FOI request just for the hell of it.

Why would you put in a spud in a urban area you could understand in you live in a Forrest with tt system .
I've not put one in. Just covering myself if my Stroma assessor decides to be awkward next week and asks why I did not put one in, I can then prove on the calcs that it was not required. (I know I am probably over thinking it ;))

SPDs not required in a single dwelling.....recommendation only....client says yes or no
Agree, but need to do the calculation to know whether to recommend or not. And as this is for my annual assessment I am just crossing the T's and dotting the I's in case my assessor is having a bad day and decides to be awkward.

Agree, but need to do the calculation to know whether to recommend or not. And as this is for my annual assessment I am just crossing the T's and dotting the I's in case my assessor is having a bad day and decides to be awkward.
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaK2zM7ynFU no risk assessment needed for single dwelling hope the vid gives you some help

The CRL risk assessment is not applicable to single dwellings, what’s the point in doing an risk assessment to find it requires one only to then have a cravat that says it can be omitted by the cost therin etc?

What I don’t understand philosophically, is why its ok to make a value based decision for a single dwelling and not a shop, for example ? I think they’ve overstepped the mark when they used “shall” for anything other than safety, but that’s just me :) .

Just to update the thread.
Had my annual surveillance visit last week.

Assessor was pleased to see that I had supplied a CRL showing that an SPD was not required at the property. He said it was the first he had seen as most people that have not fitted them just say it’s not required in domestic setting but without any justification.

You need to document the CRL then if an SPD is required and client refuses you need that refusal documented and signed by the client (just needs to be kept with your records for future ref). Failing to fit an SPD or not having a CRL and any documented refusal, if needed, will result in a non conformity in an annual assessment.
[assessors remarks]

I realise that not everyone on here will agree with this but I thought the feedback may be of interest to someone about to have their assessment.

Reply to SPD calculation / Stroma annual assessment in the Certification NICEIC, NAPIT, Stroma, BECSA Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock