Discuss SPDs==================== in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete999

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Following on from the debate, regarding SPDs, got me thinking, " yes strange I know" but anyway. The only type I have fitted was what can be loosely described as a Type 1 ( installed at the incoming Distribution Board)

These were usually a Furze unit SP&N or TP&N depending on what the supply was, there was never any thought given to the area or type of environment, it was just something the Customer demanded, cost wasn't an issue, "just do it Pete"

These units where sacrificed, i.e. once they took a hit, they were to be replaced, very costly. Which brings me to the point of this thread, peoples' concerns have been ones of primarily customer costs , if they had them fitted.

Is anyone aware if the domestic types are sacrificial?has this been debated? just wondering,idol thoughts really, grateful for any information.

not that I'll be fitting any in the near future, as I am now retired "never say never again" springs to mind, one more piece of information these units were stand alone and fitted in their own enclosure, along with the 0.5M or no longer than 1.0 M length of supply cables, and a minimum size OCPD of 65 Amps, the type of installation was Technical type environments/workshops, if you get my drift.

Yes they do need to be replaced after a certain number/size of surge. They usually have an indicator on them to show when they need to be replaced.
A lot of them now have a replaceable, plug in type, cartridge rather than needing to swap the whole unit out.

Yes they do need to be replaced after a certain number/size of surge. They usually have an indicator on them to show when they need to be replaced.
A lot of them now have a replaceable, plug in type, cartridge rather than needing to swap the whole unit out.
Thanks Dave, wonder if many people explain this to their customers when quoting for new CUs coupled with SPDs?

Reply to SPDs==================== in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net